Welcome to my best Bivy Sacks review of 2021.
I tested nearly two dozen products, binge shopped on amazon an entire week, and spent more than 40 hours playing with the product in my basement. These are far away the top 5, and it’s not even close.
In this review, I’ll cover:
- The best product according to skill level and budget, so you get the perfect fit
- My experiences with each product
- The 1 mistake I made that cost me $100
- A hilarious Amazon shopping experience you have to hear about
Trust me, you do not want to buy the wrong product. It’s better to get it right the first time, or you’ll waste $100 like I did and spend 2 hours fighting with Amazon customer service. Stick with something you know will work.
Let’s get started.
Outdoor Research Alpine Bivy - Best Overall
S.O.L Survive Outdoors Longer Escape Bivy - Budget Pick
Tact Bivy Compact Ultra Lightweight Sleeping - Also Good Budget Pick
1. Outdoor Research Alpine Bivy - Best Bivy Sacks
The Outdoor Research Alpine Bivy is loaded with great features that make it more comfortable and versatile. When it comes to effectiveness and quality, this alpine bivy standout.
This bivy bag provides the perfect combination of durability, protection from elements, and comfort. The Outdoor Research Bivy offers exceptional protection from the weather. It means, with this item you can venture with confidence.
Though other best bivy sacks provide smaller packed sized and lighter weight, this model won’t let you down. Especially when the weather condition becomes worst.
Either way, listed below are some of the main features of the Outdoor Research Alpine Bivy
This bivy shelter is made of a three-layer of Gore-Tex casing. This material lets water vapor to escape over the fabric without allowing snow or rain inside.
Even so, this bivy sock is waterproof.
The Alpine Bivy can be rolled out with ease. Moreover, it has interior straps which secure your sleeping pad. You can also stash your small items like a watch and cell phone in the mesh that is attached inside.
Furthermore, it comes with a line loop and five-stake loops which will hold the best bivy sacks in place. However, the stakes included in this bivy are light in weight.
This unit performed well when it comes to ventilation. It has lots of useful features which allows for additional ventilation. These features will keep the condensation down.
Even so, in warm and clear weather, you can leave this bivy open letting warm air to circulate out.
What We Liked
What We Didn't Like
Most customers said that this bivy sacks are entirely waterproof. It protects them in actual storms. Also, it has plenty of room where they can store your shoes, food, and clothing safely.
This product also keeps them warm during cold weathers. In addition, they proved that this sleeping bag shelter is made of high-quality materials.
Either way, users loved how easy to set up this bivy sacks from Outdoor Research.
Even though it’s not the lightest or smallest in this bivy sacks review, indeed, Alpine Bivy is very comfortable, durable, and versatile.
This bivy bag is somewhat similar to ultra-light tents regarding bulk and weight. But it costs lesser compared to most ultra-light tent choices.
Overall, the Outdoor Research Alpine Bivy is a Our choice.
2. S.O.L Survive Outdoors Longer Escape Bivy - Budget Pick
- Emergency Escape bivvy reflects 70% of body heat to prevent heat loss and provide life-saving warmth
- Highly durable, water-resistant fabric and drawstring hood keeps out the elements and keeps you dry
- Bivvy design prevents condensation inside by allowing moisture out while keeping the rain out too
- Made from quiet, tear-resistant material that won’t shred to pieces to keep you protected outdoors
- Reusable bivvy can also be used as a camping gear tarp, sleeping bag, and much more
The S.O.L Escape Bivvy is transforming background shelter. This best bivy sack only weighs 8.1 ounces. However, its 70 percent reflective and breathable personal lodging will not let condensation to build up.
Its exclusive water-resistant drapery allows moisture to escape and keeps wind, rain, and snow on the outside. The good thing about this bivy is that you can utilize it as a regular sleeping bag.
Nonetheless, listed below are some of the main features of the S.O.L Escape Bivvy.
When it comes to durability, this product stands out. This sack made of durable fabrics that can resist tears and punctures through heavy usage.
It is also made of waterproof fabrics which keeps you dry even though the condition is soggy or wet.
For maximum comfort, the manufacturer of this ultralight bivy equipped this with foot box, fully included a side zipper and draw-cord cover closure.
What We Liked
What We Didn't Like
Customers are impressed with the product’s quality. Also, lots of users claim that this bivy sacks will last for a couple of years.
Even though it is not the very best bivy sacks, the S.O.L Escape Bivvy can be a great help during emergency situations, say customers.
With S.O.L Escape Bivvy you will have dry and warm emergency lodging that keeps dry while you are heating up.
Moreover, it is a waterproof and unique product that everybody will surely like.
- Ultra Lightweight Compact Sleeping Bag: Made out of ultra-lightweight HeatEcho reflective polyester film, this thermal survival blanket sleeping bag weighs just 4.8 ounces. It also compresses into a tiny oversized stuff sack, so you can reuse and carry this emergency sleeping bag with your survival kit everywhere you go. Use as a sleeping bag liner and raise your body temperature by 20°!
- Made for Emergencies: The bright orange color of this light weight sleeping bag cover helps rescuers identify you with ease. Plus, the HeatEcho material reflects 90% of your body's heat back to you, making it an essential survival tool and addition to your bug out bag, emergency shelter, camping gear or car emergency kit.
- Incredibly Durable: 100% WATERPROOF: For its weight and thinness, these sleeping bags will surprise you with their strength. The material ensures these sacks are tear-resistant, windproof AND water proof. Plus, these emergency Tact Bivvy bags feature reinforced taped seams, creating weather-resistant barriers between you and the frigid cold.
- Extra Features: The drawstring is actually para-tinder paracord, so you can use it to tie down your gear or expose the tinder cord and use as a fire starter! On the end of the drawstring you will find a 120 decibel whistle for emergencies, and a carabiner to you can clip to your bag or pack.
- We have over 10 years’ experience in the industry. We guarantee our product with our 6 Month "Any Reason" Refund Guarantee. Ships from USA. Live customer support. Click Add to Cart Now!
This product is considered a useful and refined emergency sleeping bag. The Tact Bivvy from Survival Frog is ideal for very infrequent use.
One of the best things that set this bivy apart from others is that it’s handy for escapades. However, the Tact Bivvy is more like an emergency blanket, not a bivy.
On the other hand, this ultralight bivy sack is loaded with great features that you’ll surely love. It is the main reason why this product is included in this ultimate sack reviews.
For its thinness and weight, this sleeping bag from Survival Frog will shock you with its strength. The materials used in this product is waterproof, tear-resistant, and windproof.
In addition to that, this bivy bag is equipped with taped seams, which makes a barrier between the frigid cold and you.
Designed for Emergencies
Its bright orange color of this sleeping bag helps rescuers determine you easily. Moreover, the HeatEcho materials used in this bag reflects 90 percent of your body’s heat hind to you, which makes it an important survival tool. It is also a nice addition to your camping gear or emergency shelter.
Easy to Use
This Tact Bivvy sleeping bag is easy to use and store at the same time. All you have to do is unpack this lightweight and compact sleeping bag from the sack and then slide inside.
This bivy bag is small especially when on the stuff sack. With that said, you can easily store this item anywhere.
What We Liked
What We Didn't Like
The majority of Tact Bivvy customers loved how these sleeping bags were created. They don’t have any complaint when it comes to comfort, quality, and protection.
Nevertheless, some of the customers complain about its too bright color.
Undeniably, the Tact Bivvy is a perfect option for emergency and shelter weather protection.
All in all, this sleeping bag is a product that is worth getting. Also, we highly recommend this for hikers, mountaineers, or campers who are looking for a lightweight sleeping bag.
This waterproof bivy the forth if of the most highly-valued bivy sacks on the market today. The bivy cover made with moisture-vapor-permeable and waterproof materials. Moreover, the seams are all heat sealed.
Another thing that made Woodland Camouflage Waterproof Bivy Cover is that it performs a decent job of protecting its user from bad weather.
This bivy cover does an excellent job in making its users dry and warm, even in times of blustering snow and rain. On the other hand, its opus material has waterproof treatment and taped seams, making its shield more durable against any elements.
When it comes to ventilation, this bivy cover is also top-notch. It has lots of different configurations for venting setup.
Since its ventilation is above average, you can button and zip it completely to keep weather and wind out.
Regarding comfort, you can also count on this waterproof sleeping bag cover. This bag offers plenty of room for your stuff and yourself. With that said you can toss as well as turn around without being constrained.
What We Liked
What We Didn't Like
Lots of customers praised the spacious interior of this best bivy sacks. Aside from that, they also appreciate the comfort it offers to them.
Even so, according to some users, this bivy sack is great for hiking and other outdoor activities.
This manufacturer of this item gives up weight savings to build a heavy bivy. Even though it doesn’t come with bug screen or poles, it still the most considerable product in this list.
Also, this bag is specifically designed to last for a couple of years. If you are looking for a bivy sack that you could convey from generation to generation, this one is for you.
To sum it all, this bivy sock can offer maximum warmth as well as durability wherever you want to go.
- STAY WARM AND ALIVE IN EXTREME CONDITIONS: The Life Bivy emergency sleeping bag serves as your emergency blanket, survival shelter, and emergency bivy sack all-in-one. Engineered for emergencies and survival, you have the ability to call for help using the 120-decibel survival whistle and the bright orange color alerts rescuers. Perfect for your bug out bag, survival gear, car survival kit, or bug out gear, the Life Bivy is an essential tool to ensure you stay alive in an emergency
- PATENT PENDING PARA-SYNCH TECHNOLOGY PARACORD DRAWSTRING & SURVIVAL WHISTLE: The 120-decibel emergency whistle cuts through wind and trees alerting rescuers up to 1-mile away. The 550lb nylon core patent pending Para-Synch Technology drawstring can be used to secure or repair gear, build an emergency shelter, or start a fire. In a survival situation, your tools and skills are the difference between life and death. The Life Bivy's multi-functional stuff sack stacks the deck in your favor
- EXTRA-THICK TEAR AND PUNCTURE RESISTANT MATERIAL: Your ultra-lightweight emergency bivvy survival sleeping bag is constructed of 26um extra-thick mylar material with a tear and puncture resistant coating so it stands up to extreme conditions. Your Life Bivy is durable enough for repeated uses so it can be folded up and placed back inside the waterproof Nylon stuff sack for your next adventure
- PROTECTION AGAINST RAIN, WIND, & SNOW: Your waterproof and windproof survival bivvy bag is made of extra-thick tear & puncture resistant polyethylene material with sealed seams locking out harsh weather to cover & protect you in the worst conditions. The reflective interior of the Life Bivy emergency sleeping bag protects you from hypothermia and keeps you warm by reflecting 90% of your body heat back to you
- ULTRA LIGHTWEIGHT & COMPACT: Small enough to fit in the palm of your hand and weighing just 4.1 ounces, the Life Bivy survival sleeping bag comes rolled up inside a durable waterproof stuff sack so you can store it nearly anywhere. Toss Life Bivvies in your hiking pack, go bag, bug out supplies, and glove box so whether you’re trapped in your car during a winter storm or forced to spend an unplanned night outside, you’re ready for the harshest conditions Mother Nature throws at you
Regarding functions, size, and weight the Life Bivy Emergency Bag provides the best features. It also has several functions that will keep your family and you secure and safe.
Moreover, this bivy sacks will keep you insulated especially when you’re stuck in the nowhere and not capable of reaching your campsite and home in time.This product stands out because it’s created with lots of reliable and great features.
Whether you’re stuck in howling wind, relentless snow, or pounding rain, this bivy sacks can help you a lot. The Life Bivy offers you maximum protection against bad conditions so that you will stay alive, warm, and dry.
Furthermore, this best bivy sack is made of puncture and tear resistant materials. It also comes with a waterproof and durable stuff sack.
This sleeping bag comes with additional tools that can help you a lot when there’s an emergency. Its drawstring can be utilized to repair gear and tie down.
Moreover, it comes with a tremendous 120dB whistle that you can use when you are out of sight or stranded.
The Life Bivy weighed 4.1oz and stored inside a solid stuff sack. You can place it in your camping gear, trunk, or backpack.
However, it is a perfect addition to your hiking pack, vehicle emergency kit, or survival kit. Because nothing blows the coziness of knowing you are ready for any emergency.
What We Like
What We Didn't Like
Many consumers praised the product’s reliability and usefulness. On the other hand, some customers keep citing the Life Bivy Sleeping Bag’s safety and comfort.
Overall Life Bivy Emergency Sleeping bag is a bivy sack that is worth getting. This will protect from bugs and severe weather conditions. It is completely waterproof and provides a great combination of substance and style.
With its great features, rest assured you will have a comfortable, safe, and secure adventure.
Without a doubt, it is one of the significant factors that you need to consider when buying a bivy sack is how you’ll utilize it.
Will you utilize it on overnight hikes or mountaineering excursions? For camping or on long-distance treks?
Once you’ve determined how and when you’ll use it rest assured you will end up purchasing the best one.
More: Check The Best Hydration Bladder here
Keep in mind that the weight we’re talking about isn’t only the sack itself. But the additional weight that it would contribute to the camper or hiker’s backpack.
When buying great outdoor equipment, weight is an important factor. If the place where you’re going has an even landscape that has no altitudes to be climbed, then you’ll need weightier bivy sacks.
However, some bivy bags features a pole and hoop. These additional features will upsurge the sack’s overall weight.
When it comes to a lightweight bivy, there are lots of options where you can choose from. Thus, it’s better to spend some of your time checking the description of the product you’re planning to buy.
Condensation and Waterproofing Factors
How well it endures outside condensation and how waterproof it is, are also important factors that you need to consider when buying bivy sacks.
If a product isn’t waterproof, it’s absolutely useless. Keep in mind that being water-resistant and waterproof aren’t alike. Some bivy sacks are water-resistant while others are waterproof.
When purchasing a bivy, you should also check the product’s condensation resistance.
It is important in guaranteeing that users don’t get too cold in the outside while nestling or resting inside a sack.
When buying a bivy tent, make sure that you review the condensation resistance factor as well. This is essential in ensuring that the user does not get too cold in the outdoors while sleeping or nestling inside such a sack.
Since you’re staying outdoors, it is best to invest in bivy sacks that comes with insect protection.
Sacks that have insect protection are simpler to pack, more lightweight, and more breathable. However, this bivy doesn’t feature lots of weather protection.
The kind of materials used in making bivy sacks vary greatly. However, one of the most important things that you need to think through is the durability.
Most likely, you will be sleeping on the ground, so, you need to make sure that your chosen bivy sack is made of durable materials.
More: Leatherman Rebar Review
Undeniably, comfort is essential for outdoor equipment. Even so, it is more important especially if you tend to use your bivy sack as your shelter.
Either way, some of the factors that will determine how comfortable a bivy include insect protection, roominess, ease of use, and additional features like gear pockets as well as straps for a sleeping pad.
Even if your chosen bivy sack is waterproof, but it doesn’t have good ventilation, then it’s worthless.
With that said, it’s better to look for a bivy sack that offers a great combination of waterproof and ventilation. Also, look for bivy socks that are equipped with a zipper, as such bivies have good ventilation.
More: Check Best Camping Table Here
Bivy Sacks vs. Tent: Who Performs Better?
Bivy sacks, unlike tents, can be positioned on harsher landscapes, rocks, or inside caves. Wherein, tents can’t handle these areas. Bivy sacks, on the other hand, can offer you greater functionality and versatility.
Moreover, a bivy sack is more inexpensive compared to a tent. Notwithstanding its cost, bivy sacks can offer excellent weather protection, warmth, and comfort.
Normally, tents aren’t adaptable for either terrain or weather instances, especially when compared to a bivy sack. Plus, bivy sacks are much easier to use and setup.
How Does Air Flow Inside a Bivy Sack?
Waterproof or breathable laminates like Gore-Tex cloth make it probable for vapor bent by the body heat to be pressed over the fabric.
Even so, this works better when a humid and warm body is resting somewhere dry and cool. During raining circumstances, your bivy sack must have zippers and enough overlapping material, so it’s unlikely you’ll need to zip them closed totally.
Nevertheless, physically venting a flap or zipper helps uphold acceptable inner humidity level.
Why Would I Utilize A Bivy Sack As An Alternative To A Tent?
The majority of outdoor enthusiasts that utilizes a bivy sack instead of a tent prefer the compressibility and lightweight of bivy sacks.
Bivy sacks are made to be used and carry with ease and to be smaller. These sacks can keep you from any weather condition and warm.
Even though bivy sacks are ordinary among outdoor enthusiasts, some backpackers prefer to use a lightweight tent.
On the other hand, when comparing a bivy sack to a tent, you will notice that it is more compressible and easier to set up.
Thus, if you are looking for a shelter that is good for one person and protects you from any outdoor element, then a bivy sack is for you.
Where Can I Purchase The Outdoor Research Alpine Bivy?
You can buy this best bivy sack at Amazon. Or, you can visit the official website of Outdoor Research or any outdoor store near to you.
If you want to have the best bivy sack, then we commend you to invest in Outdoor Research Alpine Bivy. It offers a great combination of comfort and durability.
It’s also top-notch when it comes to effectiveness and quality. Most importantly, it can withstand even the harshest weather condition.
For hikers, mountaineers, campers, investing in a high-quality and steadfast bivy back is not a bad idea. A bivy sack is useful and can offer you a comfortable shelter especially if you’re stuck in nowhere. Aside from that, it is also versatile, quite affordable, safe, as well as secure.
Hopefully, this content helps you a lot in choosing the best bivy sack that suits your personal and outdoor needs.