Have you ever asked yourself what might be the best compact umbrella for you but can’t decide which one to choose? When being trapped in the sun or soaked in the rain, umbrellas always come in handy.
From a typical umbrella to a compact one, there is a wide variety of umbrellas though they have similar purposes. Each of them comes with various and unique features that you will surely love.
The compact umbrella is a small size folding umbrella that you can fit in your palm with ease. It’s easy to carry, and you can even place it in your handbags and pockets if necessary. Which makes it perfect when you go camping with other camping equipment like chair, bivy sack, best camping pillow, tent, best camping sleeping bag, etc.
But with so many compact umbrellas available on the market today, choosing the best umbrella can be a daunting task. That is why we created this buying guide for you.
Our guide will tell you all the things that you need to know to pick the best compact umbrella.
Repel Windproof Umbrella w/ Teflon Coating -Best Compact Umbrella
- AUTOMATIC, COMPACT, AND LIGHTWEIGHT - Auto open close function allows for easy one-handed operation. Measuring just 11.5" long and weighing less than 1lb the folding handheld umbrella is extremely packable in purses, briefcases, backpacks, luggage and more.
- WIND-DEFYING, DOUBLE VENTED, 9-RIB CANOPY - Most small or mini umbrellas are made of 6 or 8 aluminum ribs but Repel is fortified with 9 resin-reinforced fiberglass ribs and a vented double canopy that flex slightly to withstand powerful gusts without turning inside out.
- SUPERIOR REPELLENCY - Waterproof, weatherproof and instantly dry, the foldable and durable Repel Travel Umbrella defends against the elements like nothing else.
- QUALITY WORKMANSHIP - Designed with a three-fold chrome plated black metal shaft, and strong metal frame to allow for greater stability in high winds. The ergonomic, slip-proof, and rubberized grip handle with wrist strap allow for easy carrying. A protective travel sleeve is included. Perfect for men, women, teens and kids.
- WORLD RENOWNED AND CRITIQUED - Featured on Good Morning America, Rated by Wire Cutter as the Best Umbrella in 2019.
This compact umbrella from Repel is actually one of a kind. Repel made this using nine ribs that defies even the strongest winds.
Moreover, this umbrella is equipped with fiberglass ribs which prevent it from flipping during windy weathers.
This repel umbrella, on the other hand, got his name because of its superior capability when it comes to repelling water.
Nevertheless, Repel backed this travel umbrella a lifetime replacement guarantee.
This best umbrella is designed with a durable metal frame and a three-fold metal shaft (chrome plated) for greater stability during strong winds.
Its rubberized, ergonomic, and slip-proof handle that has a wrist strap will let you carry it with ease.
Moreover, it comes with a travel sleeve.
Durability and Construction
The Repel compact umbrella is fortified with nine fiberglass ribs which makes it more durable compared to other options on the market.
Its premium-quality construction can endure extreme weathers efficiently and without flipping inside out.
Aforementioned, this umbrella got its name because of its excellent water repellency as well as other elements.
One of the best things about this small umbrella is that it is fully waterproof and its canopy that uses Teflon technology dries quickly.
Things We Liked
Things We Didn’t Like
Customers loved the push button of this umbrella since it allows them to open and close it easily, though according to some they are having a hard time opening it at first.
Moreover, they also like the chrome plated metal craft and fiberglass ribs. According to several users, regarding stability, compactness, durability, and lightness this umbrella is top-notch.
The Repel Windproof Umbrella with Teflon Coating can protects you during extreme weather.
The strong and fiberglass ribs can endure winds without flipping. Moreover, its fiberglass can resists corrosion. Thus you can be sure that it will last for a couple of years.
On the other hand, its Teflon coating also aids in increasing the capability of the umbrella to repel water. Either way, this model is perfect for those who are looking for a compact and lightweight umbrella.
EEZ-Y Compact Travel Umbrella w/ Windproof Double Canopy - Runner Up
EEZ-Y says that this compact travel umbrella is a nice option for sports spectating and other outdoor events.
This product is specially created in a way that increases its protection as well as durability. Moreover, its high-quality fiberglass and one hand operation are only a few of the many reasons why it’s included in our list.
The EEZ-Y compact umbrella has a double and vented canopy construction that lets the winds to go over the vents with ease, stopping it from reversing the umbrella when meeting strong winds.
The type of material utilized in making this product is 210T. Actually, 210T is a water repellent and especially coated fabric.
Aside from that, it comes with a rubberized and slip-resistant handle. Either way, the EEZ-Y compact umbrella is a perfect combination of durability, protection, and portability.
This best travel umbrella is designed using distinct frame systems that are made of premium fiberglass and high-quality stainless steel. As such, you don’t need to worry about breaking and rusting.
Furthermore, it is strengthened with nine fiberglass ribs and black metal shaft. Either way, its frame system can withstand wind up to 55mph.
Things We Liked
Things We Didn’t Like
Customers revealed that this umbrella is as great as it is advertised. They also love how comfortable and easy to use it.
According to some users, its superb construction as well as fiberglass ribs are work very well and remain intact after strong winds.
Overall it’s a product that is something worth getting – EEZ-Y compact umbrella users.
This compact umbrella is created with durability and stability in mind. Also, its double canopy will surely protect from extreme winds, heat, and rain.
On the other hand, it’s easy to use thanks to its convenient button and ergonomic handle.
Either way, this umbrella is perfect for frequent travelers and people who are just walking around the street who can’t foresee the weather.
Rain-Mate Compact Travel Umbrella
- WINDPROOF DESIGN - 9 reinforced fiberglass ribs with sturdy all metal frame and shaft make the canopy highly wind resistant for storms and the harsh outdoors. Compact, lightweight, stylish and durable for the best quality weather protection.
- FAIL-SAFE FLIP TECHNOLOGY - Our virtually indestructible weatherproof canopy survives super strong gusts of wind because the fiberglass hinges are equipped with a fail-safe technology that will invert the canopy but will not cause the ribs to bend or break. Unlike cheap umbrellas, our heavy duty umbrella is ready for whatever Mother Nature brings.
- LIFETIME REPLACEMENT GUARANTEE - If anything happens to your brella, we will send you a new one at no extra charge. We warranty all types of issues.
- PERFECT TRAVEL SIZE – A 3 fold telescopic shaft is collapsible to a small 12” in length yet opens to form a large 42" canopy. Also comes with a travel sleeve to keep your bag dry. Small and tiny enough to fit in your purse, backpack, luggage, car, briefcase and more. Mini, portable and foldable design is perfect for men, ladies, and kids.
- AUTOMATIC OPEN AND CLOSE - No more struggling with finger pinching release mechanisms. The Rain-Mate Travel Umbrella features an auto open and auto close mechanism so all you have to do is simply touch a button on the ergonomic rubberized handle to expand and collapse the canopy making walking through the rain a breeze. This is the last umbrella you’ll ever need.
Undeniably, Rain-Mate is a reliable name that takes superiority in designing and making high-quality items that offer powerful protection.
In fact, they build lightweight and small travel umbrellas which may last for several years. Rain-Mate, on the other hand, has head off to make the best wind-resistant compact umbrella and its superiority speaks for itself.
Unlike other umbrellas that have only six to eight ribs, this compact umbrella from Rain-Mate comes equipped with nine fiberglass ribs.
It is also made with durable frame and metals shaft making it waterproof and wind resistant against the attack of severe weather conditions such as storms and snow.
The Rain-Mate travel umbrella has a 3-fold telescopic shaft and can be collapsed into a 12” umbrella. When opened, it boasts 42-inch in diameter and can accommodate one adult at ease with adequate space for other persons.
This umbrella also comes with a travel sleeve. Thus you can still keep your stuff dry even though you store in on your bag.
Nevertheless, you can easily place it in your backpack, glove compartment, purse, backpack, or luggage, thanks to its compact size.
Durable Fail-Safe Flip
Due to its fail-safe technology, this umbrella is safe against any harsh weather. Even so, the technology used for the canopy lets the hinges of the ribs to turn upside down but stops it from breaking or bending.
Things We Liked
Things We Didn’t Like
According to some customers, its automatic opening and closing mechanism feel very secure, and the fabric is great.
Other users loved this compact umbrella from Rain-Mate for its top-quality material as well as durability.
Either way, they have revealed that it doesn’t only look fashionable but offers them enough shelter.
The Rain-Mate travel umbrella sports an elegant and stylish design. The handle also offers a comfortable and soft grip.
Moreover, it is uniquely designed and lightweight to provide lifetime services. It has an auto open and close mechanism making it easier to use.
Most importantly, it is a weather-resistant and durable umbrella.
Benkii Windproof Travel Umbrella
The Benkii Windproof Travel Umbrella is proven to be effective. Actually, Benkii made this item to be waterproof, abrasion, and mildew resistant.
This compact umbrella is also top-notch in terms of comfort and durability.
This travel umbrella is equipped with a water-repellent fabric like microfiber which spreads out to offer shade when opened.
The canopy is also weather, abrasion, and mildew resistant. This umbrella has a 42-inch canopy, and it’s large enough to offer you protection. Either way, the canopy retracts to 12 inches.
The Benkii travel umbrella is made of 10 ribs which makes it much stronger compared to others. This umbrella can withstand stronger winds and will not turn upside down.
Furthermore, this umbrella is built using premium quality materials.
Convenient to Use
This umbrella can be used easily and conveniently thanks to its auto open and close mechanism which allows a one hand operation.
Things We Liked
Things We Didn’t Like
Lots of customers loved its ten fiberglass ribs as well as cheap price. According to them, this product offers them enough protection no matter what the weather is.
Though a few of them aren’t happy with the size and experience.
This compact umbrella from Benkii comes with a durable frame and canopy. It has a large design which protects against UV rays and rain. Either way, it is accessible at a cheap price tag.
Bodyguard Travel Umbrella - Best Cheap/Budget Unberlla
- ❆〖SUPERIOR WINDPROOF 10 RIBS DESIGN〗 - Most folding umbrella are destroyed when they are flipped inside and outside in the strong wind, because ribs can't bend to protect themselves from damage. Bodyguard high quality windproof travel umbrella is fortified with 10 reinforced fiberglass ribs which is flexible enough to withstand powerful wind and the harsh outdoors. You will be more safe in bad weathers.
- ❆〖TEFLON WATERPROOF MATERIAL PROTECTION〗 - This windproof compact umbrella is coated with the industry leading Teflon fabric material which ensures good waterproof performance. It will protect you in heavy downpours with a high quality canopy coated with waterproof technology. The raindrop slip smoothly and dries instantly when rain fall on the surface of umbrella. You will never enter the house or car with a dripping umbrella because it was dry before then.
- ❆〖AUTO OPEN AND CLOSE〗 - Our Travel Folding Umbrella features an auto open and auto close mechanism, just push the button once to automatically open and press again to instantly fold the canopy closed. You do not need to wait another second to open the compact umbrella when you get out of your car in the rain, especially in heavy rainfall, even when your hands are full of things.
- ❆〖PORTABLE AND LIGHTWEIGHT〗- Portable and lightweight design, compact size and slip-proof handle with automatic open close button, make your life easier. The portable compact folding umbrella is lightweight enough to put into your car, briefcases, backpacks, school bags, handbags, travel bags without burden. It is easy to carry and suitable for journey, business, camping, fishing and daily use.
- ❆〖100% SATISFACTION〗 - Our company has one year promise on every product that leaves our factory. Better still, we offer full customer support for all of your needs. If you are not satisfied with our windproof travel umbrella, please contact us first. We will solve your problem in 24 hours.
Bodyguard makes a travel umbrella that will definitely protect you whenever you go.
On the other hand, if you are exhausted of being drenched by heavy rain, then this durable and compact umbrella is for you.
The Bodyguard travel umbrella is made to last. This product is equipped with ten premium fiberglass ribs.
Moreover, it has a stainless frame, while its canopy is made from 210T fabric (micro-weave).
This travel umbrella closes to twelve inches and opens to forty inches. Also, it is lightweight and highly portable making it easier to carry and travel.
Aside from the features mentioned above, this umbrella is also windproof. It uses Teflon technology to dry and repel water quicker.
It also has an auto open and close mechanism and non-slip and long handle that comes in handy during rainy seasons.
Things We Liked
Things We Didn’t Like
The majority of customers who purchased a Bodyguard travel umbrella said that this item works very well and all the features come in handy and useful.
They have also revealed that is a high-quality item and it is a nice investment.
The Bodyguard Travel Umbrella is reinforced with 10 fiberglass ribs and UV protected canopy.
Its portability is very impressive since it can be folded in a minimum length of 11.5”. Furthermore, its compact design makes it a perfect travel buddy, and you can place it on your travel bag with ease.
What to Look For When Buying A Compact Umbrella?
When you’re set to buy a new compact umbrella, ensuring that you’ve purchased the best one is crucial.
Either way, the simple buying guide will help you to get the best compact umbrella that works best for you.
It’s essential to get a compact umbrella that is durable enough so that it will last for a longer time.
However, since umbrellas might be utilized in harsh weather condition, it best to choose a model that can withstand the test of time.
Focus on the umbrella’s canopy, shaft, and stretchers to guarantee that it’s strong enough.
The ribs of the umbrella may get top your pocket along the edge of the canopy. The ends of the ribs should let you stop poking passerby and yourself.
However, your and other people’s safety is paramount. Thus you should look keep an eye on your umbrella’s design.
Space is essential especially when you are traveling. With that said, conveniently sized compact umbrellas are always welcome.
It should be compact so that you’ll be able to place it in your handbag, suitcase, or backpack with ease.
Either way, look for a small size umbrella that you can fit in the bag but large enough to offer you enough protection when it rains.
Fabrics used in making the umbrella’s canopy is another essential factor that you need to consider. Aside from the materials utilized in making the frame, the fabric, on the other hand, affects the overall price.
Costlier fabrics are stronger while the cheaper ones fade easily. Whichever type of fabric you pick, it should aid its persistence to the fullest.
However, if you’re traveling places infamous for strong winds and storms, it is best to go for a vented or two-layer fabric canopy that lessens the possibilities of your umbrella reversing inside out.
A high-quality frame keeps an umbrella from flipping or breaking down during severe winds. Even so, aluminum frames may be light and cheap; they aren’t capable of handling stronger winds.
Better yet, look for a frame that is made of brass, fiberglass, steel, or nickel.
At first, the umbrella’s weight may not look a big deal, but if you travel too often this a factor that you need to consider seriously.
Thus, be certain to choose a lightweight travel umbrella which you can place in your purse or backpack every day.
Ease of Use
When making a purchase make sure to look for a compact umbrella that you can utilize with ease. For example, a lightweight that has an automatic open and close mechanism umbrella can be a great option.
People of age will be able to use it with ease.
Apart from that, your chosen compact umbrella should have a comfy handle as well. Keep in mind that irritant ones will let you down.
Today, there are lots of affordable, yet quality compact umbrellas. Both push-button and manually operated models are accessible at great price tags.
However, if you have decided to go for a costlier model you should verify if it comes with a lifetime warranty as it can help you greatly when something happens to your umbrella.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q. How Can I Prolong The Life of My Compact Umbrella?
Even though most umbrellas today are made of corrosion and mildew resistant materials, it’s best to leave your umbrella open to dry.
You should also clean the fabric using a soft and clean cloth and plain water. Also, don’t use a detergent because some of the may eliminate the waterproof coating.
Q. How Do I Acquire A Warranty Replacement?
It’s best to contact the product manufacturer. In the warranty brochure that comes with the item your purchase, there should be written guideline on it.
But if there’s no brochure included or you lost it, call the manufacturer’s customer service or visit their website.
Q. Do All Compact Umbrellas Come with a Case or Sleeve?
Not all compact umbrellas come with a case or sleeve because bigger umbrellas don’t have additional accessories. However, the majority compact umbrellas have a case or sleeve.
Prerequisites to Using the Compact Umbrella
- Keep your compact umbrella dry for a longer time if you want to use it for a couple of years.
- When you’re using an automatic model, don’t open or close it like a manual model.
- If you noticed some mildew make sure to remove it immediately since it may destroy your canopy or the fabric.
Choosing the best compact umbrella is never an easy task, but if you choose from the products mentioned above rest assured you would end up with a great one.
Although all the compact umbrellas that we have included in this list are proven durable and boasts an unbelievable performance, but the top pick is the Repel Windproof Umbrella with Teflon Coating.
This is because it features unmatched durability and superior construction. With its nine fiberglass ribs, this compact umbrella will defend you from any weather condition.
Moreover, it is easy to carry and fit in your briefcase, travel bag, and purse. It can also be opened and closed thanks to its convenient push button easily.
What’s more, after a heavy rain its superior Teflon coating dried rapidly and backed with a lifetime guarantee.