When you’re on the go and need your trusty pocket knife the most, nothing is worse than opening it up to realize that your blade has become worn down, making it essentially useless. To sharpen up a dull blade, a pocket knife sharpener is just the tool you need.
Pocket knife sharpeners are built to be compact, easy to use, and convenient to carry, just like your pocket knife. They are often constructed with a diamond, tungsten carbide, or ceramic surface for reliable, versatile sharpening capability. Many of them are designed with angle guides to help you sharpen correctly and consistently.
In this product round-up, the best overall solution is the Work Sharp Guided Field Sharpener. This pocket knife sharpener has a relatively low price point and a lightweight style. It includes multiple fine and coarse sharpening plates, a leather strop for ultimate sharpness, and angle guides that make it a versatile, effective product.
Because there are so many fantastic sharpeners to review, we’ll compact and contrast a variety of them below. Read on to find the best pocket knife sharpener to fit your toolbox or your pocket.
|Best Overall||Work Sharp Guided Field Sharpener||
|Premium Pick||Spyderco Tri-Angle Sharpmaker||
|Budget Pick||Lansky PS-MED01 BladeMedic||
|Work Sharp Knife and Tool Sharpener||
|Smith’s Abrasives PP1 “Pocket Pal” Hunting Knife Sharpener||
|Wamery Pocket Knife Sharpener||
|Sharpal 101N 6-In-1 Pocket Knife Sharpener & Survival Tool||
|Victorinox Dual Knife Sharpener||
Work Sharp Guided Field Sharpener: Best Overall
- COMPLETE KNIFE SHARPENER - field, home or shop use designed for sportsmen who need a complete, compact field sharpening solution. The diamond plates can be easily removed to expose a broad head wrench to speed sharpening in the field. Diamond plates can be attached with the abrasive exposed or flipped over during transport in your gear bag.
- DIAMOND PLATES, CERAMIC RODS, LEATHER STROP, & SHARPENING GUIDES - provide a fast, easy & consistent sharpening solution for knives & camp tools. The ceramic honing rod rotates to expose coarse & fine honing surfaces, as well as a grooved surface for sharpening fish hooks. A second, small ceramic rod is used for sharpening serrations
- CONSISTENT BLADE EDGE ANGLES - purpose built 20° angle guide for sharpening with the diamond plates, & 25° angle guide for honing a strong micro-bevel. Five abrasive steps provide a complete sharpening solution: coarse & fine diamond sharpening plates, coarse & fine ceramic hones, & a leather strop.
- COMPACT & DURABLE - maintain your edge while out hunting, fishing, camping or anywhere you need a sharp edge. All elements are self-contained & require no tools, assembly, or set-up
- PROUD TO BE AN AMERICAN COMPANY - This tool was engineered and assembled by hard working Americans. Work Sharp is part of Darex, a 4th-generation family owned company in Ashland, Oregon. For over 40 years we have been creating industry-leading sharpening tools here in the USA.
The Work Sharp Guided Field Sharpener is the best overall sharpener within this product round-up. It features both coarse and fine grit type surfaces to sharpen nearly any blade, as well as a leather strop and angle guides. This is an easy-to-use, versatile, reliable sharpener that will last for years to come.
Designed as the first field sharpener built with an angle guide, the Work Sharp Guided Field Sharpener is perfect for maintaining pocket knives and axes, fishing hooks, scissors, and arrowheads kitchen knives, filets, and a variety of other tools.
This sharpener is a 5-in-1 solution to all your sharpening needs. It includes two ceramic rods, complete with sides for coarse, fine, and fishing hook sharpening surfaces. Likewise, two diamond plates included: a coarse side (220 grit) and a fine side (600 grit). Also, a leather strop is micro-abrasive to give the sharpest of edges a good polish finishing.
The angle guide includes sharpening angles of both 25 and 20 degrees to sharpening your knife at the correct angle with precision. This makes it very easy to sharpen nearly any surface, whether flat, curved, or serrated, from hatchets and axes to filet knives. There is even an internal wrench to help adjust and assemble broadheads.
The Work Sharp Guided Field Sharpener weighs only 2.5 ounces. However, its dimensions are 6.75 x 1.5 x 1 inches, so it is somewhat too large to easily fit in most pockets.
Spyderco Tri-Angle Sharpmaker: Most Premium Option
- EASY TO USE, OUTSTANDING RESULTS - This has everything necessary to sharpen any type of edged or pointed tool in just a few minutes' time. Simply keep the plane of your knife’s blade vertical and draw the edge along each stone to sharpen.
- DURABLE DESIGN - The Sharpmaker has an ABS plastic base/storage case and contains keyed holes that accurately set the stones’ sharpening angles at a 30-degrees or 40-degrees.
- READY TO GO - All components snap into the self-contained ABS plastic base and lid - it is ready to travel with you.
- SHARPENER FOR THE NOVICE - Every Sharpmaker comes complete with a detailed instruction book and DVD that guides you step by step through the process of sharpening knives, scissors, awls, and many other tools.
- INCLUDES - Instruction book and DVD. Brass Safety Rods, 2 Fine and 2 Medium Grit High Alumina Ceramic Sharpening Stones for aggressive sharpening and professional-grade finishing.
The Spyderco Tri-Angle Sharpmaker is the most premium option in this round-up. Equipped with a sturdy plastic base and several sharpening stones at different angles, it is incredibly simple to sharpen nearly any blade with this tool.
The Spyderco features four ceramic (two fine and two medium grit) sharpening stones that fit into the base securely at 30 or 40 degrees. All it takes to sharpen your knife is to run your blade’s edge along with the stone vertically. The medium grit sides are best for more harsh sharpening, while the fine stones are for professional-grade sharpening.
There is also a pair of aluminum safety rods to keep your hands protected as you sharpen.
The sharpening stones and safety rods fit inside the plastic base for easier portability, which serves as a convenient carrying case with a lid. Despite this portability, the whole sharpener is slightly heavy at 1 pound. It also measures 10 x 10 x 2 inches, so this is not necessarily a pocket-friendly device.
With the sharpener’s purchase, you also get an instructional booklet and a DVD for further guidance step by step to sharpen any blade successfully.
Lansky PS-MED01 BladeMedic: Best Budget Option
- Field repairs on all blades
- Works with standard, serrated, gut hook, and fillet knives
- Carbide, ceramic, and diamond sharpeners
- Tungsten Carbide-Three Or Four Strokes Will Restore Your Blade
- Ceramic Sharpening Rods-Polist To A Finished Edge In Three Or Four Strokes
The Lansky PS-MED01 BladeMedic pocket sharpener is the best choice if you are on a strict budget. While it costs only $10.98, the BladeMedic is still a lightweight, compact, useful option built with tungsten carbide, diamond, and ceramic surfaces for maintaining your most essential blades.
This is a 4-in-1 sharpener built with a tough tungsten carbide side for sharpening the dullest of blades, as well as a ceramic sharpening rod for polishing, a serrated knife sharpener, and a diamond tapered rod. The diamond edge is 600 grit, while the ceramic edge is a fine 1000 grit. These features make the Lansky quite useful for many types of knives.
The Lansky is versatile and reliable, constructed to sharpen serrated blades, filet knives, regular knives, and gut hook blades.
The Lansky weighs just 0.25 pounds (4 ounces), so it is also quite lightweight. Dimensions are 8.5 x 3.5 x 0.13 inches. Keep in mind that the sharpener surface area itself is quite small, so it may not be as effective at sharpening knives longer than 6 inches.
Work Sharp Knife & Tool Sharpener: Electric Sharpener
- Sharpen every knife you own like a pro quickly, easily and with repeatable, consistent results. Creates the sharpest blades you've ever had!
- Easily Replaceable Abrasive Grit Belts. Comes with premium abrasive belts to meet all your sharpening needs: Coarse (P80), Medium (P220) and Fine (6000). Abrasive belts won't burn or damage blade steel during sharpening.
- Precision sharpening guides provide fast, easy, repeatable and consistent results. Kitchen Knife guide sharpens blades to a 40° angle – Outdoor Knife Guide sharpens to a 50° angle.
- Can also be used to sharpen a wide range of bladed shop tools and lawn and garden tools such as Lawn Mower Blades, Garden Pruners, Shears, Shovels, Scrapers and more. Also makes the ideal hand held detail grinder
- 1-year warranty – warranty only valid for North American 110v power source applications. Use of power converters for 220V not recommended. Can be run with 12V power inverter (min. 150 watt) from car, truck, RV, boat, etc.
The Work Sharp Knife and Tool Sharpener is for the most serious sharpening needs. This is an electric sharpener, making it the most advanced and versatile pocket knife sharpener in this list. This tool is a heavier, less pocket-friendly option; however, it features advanced sharpening capability at a professional level using abrasive belts for ultimate sharpening precision.
This tool is designed to sharpen truly any blade that you come across, as it is built to handle any shape or angle. Along with knives, it can be used with hatchets and axes, shovels and gardening shears, scissors, and many other tools.
Not only is it a versatile option, but it is very easy to use, as the device effectively sharpens the blade for you with flexible abrasion belts that move at high speed against your blade. The abrasive belt, which is included with coarse (80 grit), medium (220 grit), and extra-fine (600 grit) sides, gives the sharpest razor edge to all your knives. These belts can be easily replaced.
Simply align your blade with the sharpening angle guide to ensure your knife is at the proper angle, pull the power switch to start the belt, and repeatedly pull the knife straight out through the guide until it is sharpened to fit your needs.
The precise sharpening angle guides include a 40-degree guide (20 degrees per bevel) for thin blades, such as kitchen knives, and a 50-degree guide (25 degrees per bevel) for outdoor knives. For sharpening scissors, you can use the included 65-degree scissor guide or purchase the 60-degree scissor guide as well.
Of course, because this sharpener weighs 1.9 pounds and requires an electric source, it is meant to be used in a toolshed or at a desk rather than carried around in your pocket.
Smith’s Abrasives PP1 “Pocket Pal” Hunting Knife Sharpener: Most Lightweight Option
- Tapered Round Diamond Coated Rod for Sharpening Serrated and Standard Edges
- Carbide Blades (Coarse CARBIDE Slot) Quickly Set Your Edge; Ceramic Stones (Fine CERAMIC slot) Give You a Razor Sharp Edge
- Reversible and Replaceable Carbide and Ceramic Stones for Extended Sharpening
- Lanyard hole for Carrying
- Preset Sharpening Angles provide Guaranteed Results
The Smith’s Abrasives PP1 “Pocket Pal” Hunting Knife Sharpener is the most lightweight pocket sharpener in this product round-up. Weighing only 0.02 pounds (0.32 ounces), this small device packs a punch with its tungsten carbide and ceramic sharpening surfaces to perfect your blade.
The Pocket Pal measures only 3.5 x 1 x 0.01 inches, so it is an incredibly compact option perfect for carrying around whenever you need it. However, despite its little weight and small size, it doesn’t skimp on features.
This little tool includes a coarse tungsten carbide sharpening surface and a fine ceramic side for extreme sharpness. It also features a folding tapered diamond rod, perfect for your serrated or standard edge knives, as well as preset sharpening angle guides. There is also a lanyard hole for simple transportability.
Wamery Pocket Knife Sharpener: Simplest Solution
- Compact Size Sharpening Rod: Our mini diamond knife sharpener rod is a retractable and portable tool, perfect for your tactical knife and your pocket knives. It fits in your pocket, toolbox, backpack, purse or luggage. Give new life to all your serrated blades and home tools. Camping knife sharpener.
- Efficient: The diamond pocket sharpener for knives can be retracted into its handle for safe-carrying and it's adapted to be removed. With only a few strokes downwards on each scallop, on each side, your knives will be sharp and ready to be used.
- Perfect for Outside: Kitchen knife sharpener for your camping outdoor knife, for a fishing hook, or to improve the edge of all your serrated and hunting knives, every time you need it. Great for hooks and fillet knives. Knife sharpener with serrated edge compatibility.
- Convenient and versatile: Never again have a blunt knife, even if you're away from home. Carry our pocket knife sharpener with you and rapidly get back the sharpness of your stainless steel straight or serrated blades.
- Excellent Quality: A polished diamond rod, smooth and soft unlike tungsten steel carbide stones or whetstone sharpeners. Save money and time, with the perfect gadget to keep your tools & serrated knives sharp.100% SATISFACTION OR MONEY BACK GUARANTEE!
The Wamery Pocket Knife Sharpener is the ultimate simplicity when it comes to quickly and easily sharpening your blades. Fitting perfectly inside your hand, pocket, purse, backpack, or toolbox, the Wamery is an easy-to-use, compact solution for keeping your serrated knives in their sharpest shape.
The Wamery achieves its sharpening skill with a diamond coated, tapered rod with a flat side. This is perfect for sharpening serrated knives as well as pocket, tactical, camping, and kitchen knives.
This little device, which weighs only 1.72 ounces, retracts inside its own handle so you can easily stow it away when not in use.
Sharpal 101N 6-In-1 Pocket Knife Sharpener & Survival Tool, with Fire Starter & Whistle: Most Extra Features
- 6 FUNCTION: 1. No. 1 V-Notch slot (Coarse CARBIDE)-Quickly set a new edge; 2. No. 2 (Fine CERAMIC)-Hone for a smooth finished edge; 3. Tapered diamond rod (Medium 400 Grit) for serrations & gut hooks; 4. Diamond rod with groove for fishhooks; 5. Ferro rod; 6. High-pitched emergency whistle
- A portable EDC field tactical knife sharpener with built-in lanyard hole, ideal for hunting, camping, outdoor survival use. It also works well for your kitchen chef knife.
- DURABLE ABRASIVES & SUPERIOR SHARPENING PERFORMANCE: The CARBIDE and CERAMIC abrasives pass 10,000 times field use test. NEVER WEARS OUT. Preset optimal sharpening angle.
- VERSATILE & EASY USE: This pocket knife sharpener not only quickly sharpens very dull or damaged blades, but also hone for razor sharp; Not only for straight edge but also serrated knife.
- 3 YEARS Warranty and Superior After-Sale Service: Sharpal headquarters in CA, US with overseas branches in Germany and Australia, aiming at providing consumers with an easy and cost-effective way to obtain a sharp edge. Manufactured and field-tested to the highest standards.
The Sharpal 101N 6-In-1 Pocket Knife Sharpener & Survival Tool has the most extra features. Not only can this handy device sharpen almost any blade, but it comes equipped with a fire starter and whistle, so you can meet nearly any adventure head-on.
This useful device features both fine ceramic sharpening surfaces and tungsten carbide edges. There is also a folding, medium 400 grit diamond coated, grooved rod that has a tapered side that perfectly sharpens serrated edges and hooks. You will also find a sharpening angle guide for precision and effectiveness.
The Sharpal measures 3.54 x 1.46 x 0.51 inches, so it is on the smaller side. It is also rather lightweight at 0.1 pounds (1.6 ounces) and features a lanyard hole for easier transportability.
With the inclusion of a fire starter and whistle, you can feel prepared for emergency situations as well.
Victorinox VN43323 Dual Knife Sharpener: Best Value
- Compact and sturdy
- The world's most know brand for multi-tools and pocket knives
- Made in Germany
The Victorinox Dual Knife Sharpener is our pick for the best value in this product round-up. Made in Germany, you can be sure that you have found a premium device that will last for many years and give you a great bang for your buck. While the Victorinox is simple, it is reliable and will stand the test of time.
This sharpener features a ceramic grooved sharpening notched surface as well as an oval rod and grinding stone.
The Victorinox weighs only 1.4 ounces and measures 9.1 inches long and 0.7 inches wide. It can fit into your pocket as simply as a ballpoint pen. It has a pocket clip as well to clip to your shirt or pants easily.
Buying Guide: What to Look For in a Pocket Knife Sharpener
If you want the ultimate option in portability to accompany your little pocket knife, look for a knife sharpener that is built to fit in your pockets as well. Some of these compact knife sharpeners will be designed with folding rods or extendable sharpening surfaces so that the overall footprint of the device is smaller when folded away.
You can also find retractable sharpeners, such as the Wamery Pocket Knife Sharpener discussed in detail above.
Note that these smaller sharpeners may be less effective at sharpening large blades.
On the other hand, if you want a more stable option, you will have to go with a less pocket-friendly tool. For example, the Work Sharp Knife and Tool Sharpener will produce the most consistent results, as it is electrically powered and sharpens via moving flexible abrasion belts. However, this device clearly will not fit into your pockets and is best used on a workbench.
For easier portability, look for a knife sharpener that weighs less. While some of the heftier devices may weigh over a pound, you can find more lightweight options, even down to less than an ounce.
However, similarly to our discussion on size above, keep in mind that more lightweight sharpeners will be less stable on their own and require more hand stabilization. Also, be sure as well that you are not skimping on quality just for the sake of having lightweight materials.
When searching for a new pocket knife sharpener, look for products with an abrasive surface built to last while sharpening your blades successfully over time. These surfaces should be diamond, tungsten carbide, ceramic, or aluminum oxide. These types of surfaces will produce the most consistent sharpening output over repeated uses.
A diamond sharpening surface is very quick to sharpen and holds its shape well, as diamond is a very hard surface. Tungsten carbide is another extremely hard surface that is good for coarse sharpening of very dull knives. Ceramic surfaces are often finer grit, making them effective at polishing to create an ultra-sharp, smooth edge.
When considering quality, also think about safety. The most high-quality, safest sharpeners will likely include integrated finger guards to keep your fingers away from the sharp edges.
Most of the pocket knife sharpeners we’ve reviewed in this product round-up are multifunction, meaning that they can successfully sharpen more than one type of blade and angle. This is important because it makes your sharpener more versatile.
A versatile sharpener will include sharpening surfaces with more than one grit level, such as coarse, fine, and medium. It would be best if you also looked for a sharpener that features a built-in angle guide to ensure that you are sharpening your blade at the proper angle so as not to ruin the knife. Most pocket knives will be sharpened at 10 to 15 degrees.
If your sharpener features a leather strop, this means it can keep your blade at the ultimate sharpest edge. This is, after all, one of the major reasons why the Work Sharp Guided Field Sharpener was our pick for number one in this product round-up.
If you are looking for a reliable, versatile way to sharpen your pocket knives, a pocket knife sharpener is a perfect solution. These sharpeners are designed to handle nearly any style and length of blade, from your pocket knife’s curved and serrated blades to kitchen knives and even scissors.
The overall winner of the product round-up is the Work Sharp Guided Field Sharpener, thanks to its two ceramic rods and two diamond plates that give it the ultimate versatile style, as well as a micro-abrasive leather strop to give you the sharpest of edges. It also includes an angle guide for sharpening precision and even an internal wrench for more versatility.
For a simpler solution, check out the Wamery Pocket Knife Sharpener or the Victorinox Dual Knife Sharpener. These are both incredibly compact, lightweight sharpeners that don’t include all the bells and whistles but will still get the job done in an easy-to-carry manner.
If you’re looking for an electric sharpener that will last for many years, check out the Work Sharp Knife and Tool Sharpener that features abrasive moving belts that are sure to sharpen your knife with amazing speed and consistency.
Hopefully, this guide has helped you to select a pocket knife sharpener that will help you maintain your knives in tip-top shape.