There’s nothing more blissful than enjoying a warm, cozy summer night under the sky.
Summer camping has its own charm. But even on warmer nights, one feels the need to be well-ventilated and warm throughout the night during sleep. That’s when your best summer sleeping bag comes in!
Right kind of summer sleeping bag will strike a perfect balance between breathability and warmth. But, how to know which one is best for you?
To help you with the dilemma, here are the top 5 best sleeping bags for summer camping.
Let’s dive in:
Type of sleeping bag
Big Agnes Buffalo Park 40 Sleeping Bag - Best Summer Sleeping Bag
- Nylon taffeta shell
- Thermolite® Extra down
-50D Polyester body
-50D Polyester liner
-Main body: 50D Ciré Polyester
-Liner and Hood: 50D Ciré Polyester Taffeta
Coleman Sun Ridge Sleeping Bag - Best Budget Sleeping Bag for Hot Weather
-Tricot blend lining
40°F to 60°F
-100% Polyester lining
55 to 60 °F
Big Agnes Buffalo Park 40 Sleeping Bag - Best Summer Sleeping Bag
- A SIZE AND SHAPE MEANT FOR COMFORT: The Big Agnes Buffalo Park Sleeping bag was created to bring your bed to the backcountry. It is extra roomy for your sleeping pad, and the quilt like construction and ability to wrap around your shoulders mimics your comforter at home.
- WEIGHT: Bag Weight 2lb 15oz, Fill Weight 21oz. DIMENSIONS: Heights up to 6'6'', Shoulder Girth 80.5'', Hip Girth 75'', Foot Girth 66'', Stuff Sack Size 8''x17.5'', Compressed Bag Size 8''x10'', Fits Pad Size 25''x78''.
- CAMPING, HUNTING, BACKPACKING: The Buffalo Park sleeping pad is luxurious enough to take to the cabin, yet light and durable enough for your next hunting or backpacking trip.
- FULL PAD SLEEVE DESIGN AND DOUBLE ZIPPERS: The Buffalo Park sleeping bag has a full-pad sleep to fit a 25'' wide sleeping pad. It also features a pillow barn to keep your pillow in place. The double zippers let you know how far you want your sleeping bag to come up your body.
- THE MOTHER OF COMFORT: The outdoors aren't just where we get away, it's where our stories are made. Based in the Colorado Rockies, Big Agnes creates innovative solutions that help you get outside, go further into the backcountry, all while being fun and comfortable.
The Big Agnes Buffalo Park is not for the faint-hearted!
The design of this sleeping bag screams excellence while providing softness and plush warmth. As the name implies, the Buffalo Park 40 is rated for temperatures that are 40°F and above.
The synthetic fill bag has a nice wide and tall cut, deliberately designed for big guys (up to 6’6”) and folks who need more room. Often barrel-chested men or campers with a huge stature have a hard time finding a roomy, spacious sleeping bag. Well, here’s where your search ends!
Big Agnes Buffalo Park is a perfect sleeping bag for road-tripping, hunting, or base camping. It has a full pad sleeve design, so you must slip a Big Agnes 25” wide sleeping pad right into the bag for ultimate comfort. For your convenience, there are hand pockets provided in the top corner along with double YKK #8 zippers for quilt-like use.
Just like your comforter at home, you simply need to wrap the top area of the bag all across your shoulders.
Thermolite® Extra down material is what provides excellent warmth and plushness to the user. The premium construction flaunts water-repellent, nylon taffeta shell along with the cotton liner. This is exactly what makes it cozy, durable and super lightweight with just 1.33kg weight.
If you want to sleep with a partner, you can simply integrate the right and left zip sleeping bags to create a wider bag. There’s even a pillow sleeve inside that secures your pillow in one place.
There are bonus points for the exterior loops provided for storage or hang drying, and interior loops for sleeping bag liners. When not in use, you can pack the bag into the nylon stuff sack provided. When compressed, the bag measures just about 8” x 10”.
Things We Like
Things we didn’t like
All the wide-chested, big folks out there- you are simply going to love this Big Agnes Buffalo Park sleeping bag. Even the people who like to shift around and need a nice roomy space must go for this one. And, there’s no doubt about its premium quality and versatile bunch of features. Hands-down, Sun Ridge is the best sleeping bag for avid campers and adventure enthusiasts.
2. Marmot Voyager 55 Sleeping Bag - Best Mummy Sleeping Bag for Hot Weather
- Mummy style 55 degree long sleeping bag for backpacking, camping, and other outdoor activities
- Maximum warmth/durable Spira Fil high loft insulation; EN rated as comfortable for men at a lower limit of approximately 55 degrees Fahrenheit
- Full length, locking YKK two way zipper
- Weight: 1 pound ., 12 ounce.; pack volume: 200.2ci (3.28 liters); interior length: 90 inch
- 50D 100 percentage polyester, 2.1 ounce/yard, 50D 100 percentage polyester, 1.3 ounce/yard
Marmot is popularly recognized for manufacturing high-quality mountaineering equipment. The Voyager 55 sleeping bag is made to perform in damp and chilly weather conditions as well, seeing its unique SpiraFil high-loft filling.
Marmot’s exclusive SpiraFil insulation features tiny polyester fibers along with large, hollow spiral-shaped fibers. These work to provide excellent compressibility, cushioning, and warmth- all at the same time.
The best thing is that the outer cover is moisture-resistant, so you need not worry when it's a bit damp outside. The Voyager 55 is EN rated and keeps the temperature at 55°F and up. The full-length, two-way, YKK zipper on this bag comes with dual hang loops, zipper garage and locking abilities.
As for cushioning, the Voyager feels cozy and blanket-like, thereby providing all-night comfort. And, when you want to pack it, simply roll it up and stuff it in the provided sack with a drawcord.
Though it is a traditional mummy-style sleeping bag, it does not feel constricted. Rather, it is spacious enough, even for big people above 200 lbs. The Voyager 55 is offered in two sizes viz. regular and long. The regular one measures 84” in length, while the long one is 90”- you can choose whichever conforms to your body size.
The fact that it is made from 50D 100% Polyester makes it extremely lightweight to haul around.
Things We Like
Things we didn’t like
Marmot Voyager 55 is an excellent option for narrow-bodied people seeking a premium quality mummy-style sleeping bag. As it is meant for summers, it won’t keep you very warm in cold weather. Apart from this, Voyager 55 is lightweight, comfortable, and will certainly last you for years to come.
3. The North Face Dolomite Sleeping Bag - Best Rectangular Sleeping Bag For Summer
- INSULATED SLEEPING BAGS: The North Face water-resistant insulated sleeping bags are high-performing & hold up to daily use in cold climates & expeditions. Zip up in comfort on your next hiking & camping trip.
- MORE THAN JACKETS: If you're looking to spend more time on the slopes or the trails, get equipped with jackets, windbreakers, coats, backpacks, hiking boots, snow boots, snow accessories, and more!
- OUTDOOR EQUIPMENT: From daypacks to backpacks to tents and sleeping bags, The North Face has outdoor equipment to keep you outdoors and enjoying your active lifestyle.
- OUTDOOR APPAREL: Whether you're skiing, snowboarding, camping, hiking, training, running, or climbing, The North Face has the snow gear, boots, jackets, scarves or warm winter hats you need.
Everyone seeks a sleeping bag that promises great universal performance, and that’s exactly what the Dolomite gives you.
The North Face Dolomite is extremely pleasing with its old-school rectangular design. It is intended to be used on mild nights when the temperature at the campground is above 40°F. Since it has a nice rectangular cut, it is quite generous to accommodate even large-sized people.
Heatseeker™ Eco is the main highlight of this bag- which is eco-friendly synthetic insulation comprising of 30% recycled fabric.
Now coming to its quality, the Dolomite features top-notch quality with full-length wraparound foot box zipper. If you want to use it as a campground blanket, you can pull away the zippers on each side and just lay it flat. The main body is crafted out of 50D Ciré Polyester, further adorned with taffeta embossing. And, the premium cushioning comes from the 50D Ciré Polyester Taffeta hood, liner, and bottom.
Again, this one here is great for summer hiking and backpacking, as it weighs just about 1160 grams (2 lbs. 9 oz.). Dolomite is offered in two length sizes i.e., Regular (72”) and Long (78”). The North Face provides a premium stuff pack with the product so that you can cinch down the bag just to 10” x 18”.
Lifetime warranty on this sleeping bag is what makes it stand out and outshine its competitors. What more could you expect from a top-class, leading brand? Moreover, you can even initiate returns for free, if not satisfied with its quality.
Things We Like
Things we didn’t like
The North Face Dolomite sleeping bag is an ultimate performer- suitable for warm climates and rugged camping expeditions! If excellent durability, rugged construction, and spacious design are what you need, look no further!
4. Coleman Sun Ridge Sleeping Bag - Best Budget Sleeping Bag for Summer
- For camping in temperatures between 40°F and 60°F. The warm weather bag fits heights up to 5 ft. 11 in
- 3 lb. of ThermoTech insulation
- Polyester cover with soft tricot fiber blend liner
- ComfortCuff surrounds your face with softness
- Roll Control fasteners lock bag in place for easier rolling
The Coleman Sun Ridge is the best summer sleeping bag for weekend hobbyists, all credits to its smart and lightweight design.
Coleman is an industry leader in producing a wide range of camping gear, sleeping bags being one of them. The Sun Ridge sleeping bag is deliberately designed for temperatures between 40°F to 60°F. The construction is quite durable, seeing its brushed polyester outer shell, soft tricot blend lining and 3 lbs. of ThermoTech insulation in between.
Its main selling point is its patented Zip-Plow™ system, a 2-way large zipper that shoves the fabric away from the zipper's teeth to prevent snagging. Another great thing is the Thermolock™ draft tube reinforced all throughout the length of the zipper to prevent undesirable heat loss.
The rectangular bag is impressively roomy as it measures 33”W x 75”L; it can effortlessly accommodate campers that are around 5 feet 11 inches tall. And, when you want to pack everything up, the Roll Control™ loop fasteners will lock the edges of the bag in place to make its rolling easier. Further, the patented ‘No-tie, QuickCord’ closure system will help you cinch down the bag tightly- just snap and lock. Such a system is ideal for one-person packing; you won’t need anybody’s help whatsoever.
Talking about the comfort, the Sun Ridge goes one step further, as the ComfortCuff fabric trim near the opening feels soft against your face. Also, the FiberLock design is what prevents the internal insulation from shifting, thereby keeping you nice and warm all night long.
The best thing is that the Coleman Sun Ridge is machine washable and is backed with 5 years limited warranty for your convenience. Overall, it is an excellent choice for campers looking for an affordable, lightweight yet durable sleeping bag.
Things We Like
Things we didn’t like
The Coleman Sun Ridge Sleeping bag is the best bang for the buck, given its lightweight design and top-notch quality. For the price, it is an excellent option for occasional campers, weekend adventurers or just anyone looking for an excellent all-rounder.
5. ECOOPRO Summer Sleeping Bag
- 【Ultra Comfort & Durable】Outer material: Nylon (Waterproof and Durable), Lining:100% Polyester (Breathable and skin-friendly), Premium TC Cotton keeps the temperature from 55 to 60℉ and provides a ultra-comfort sleep environment to people.
- 【Professional Design】The sleeping bag is waterproof and weatherproof. And the smooth zip closure makes it more convenient. Our sleeping bag measures 83"L x 30"W, the size fits for most people. It can accommodate an adult or two children.
- 【Compact & Lightweight Easy To Carry】Unlike down sleeping bags, Our envelope sleeping bag is easy to roll up into the carrying sack and it can be compressed down to just 11" in height and 1.7lbs in weight. It's ideal for backpacking enthusiasts.
- 【MULTIPURPOSE VERSATILITY】You can use our warm weather sleeping bag without sleeping bag liner in multiple weather conditions. It's a perfect sleeping bag for Outdoor camping trips, Boy Scouts or mountain hiking，also works as camping comforter.
- 【FULL YEAR WARRANTY】If you have any quality problems, please send us an email and we will reply within 24 hours.
Want to keep your pack superlight?
Here’s another pocket-friendly option that’s a breeze to haul around. The ECOOPRO Summer sleeping bag excels in quality, as it is outfitted from nylon outer shell, 100% polyester lining, and superior TC cotton insulation inside.
The outer cover is durable and fairly waterproof, while the inner lining and insulation keep you warm and comfortable throughout. The bag retains the temperature from 55 to 60°F and up, and you can even use it without the liner, depending on the weather conditions.
The zipper on the sleeping bag is smooth and easy to operate; you won’t experience any snags or tugs. Overall, it measures 83”L x 30”W, easily accommodating an adult or two kids.
Most sleeping bags in the market are hard to roll back. Keeping this in mind, the biggest advantage of the ECOOPRO is its lightweight, compact design. This envelope sleeping bag rolls down compactly into a petite carrying sack, measuring just about 11.4” in height and 1.7lbs in weight. Thus, it is the best sleeping bag for avid backpackers who don’t want much bulk.
For multipurpose use, you can unzip the bag, roll it out completely and use it as a quilt as well.
Things We Like
Things we didn’t like
For those of you looking for a compact sleeping bag to carry on mountain hiking and summer camping trips, ECOOPRO sleeping bag is your best candidate. It is lightweight, compact, and durable enough to last you for months. Not to mention, it won’t rip your wallet apart as well. To be honest, it is not ideal for heavy-duty use though.
How to Choose your Best Summer Sleeping Bag: Buying Guide
When hunting for your best summer backpacking sleeping bag, there are few factors you need to keep in mind. There are myriads of sleeping bags produced out there, each designed to fulfill a purpose. Now, sleeping bags differ in shape, size, material and construction. You need to know what kind of bag will best suit your camping requirements.
As for summer camping, you must look for a bag that is breathable and not too warm.
Here’s what you need to consider before choosing your best sleeping bag for summer camping:
Outer Shell Material
The outer cover or shell of the sleeping bag can make or break your camping trip! This factor is what really decides the durability and performance of your bag.
The shell fabric used must be rugged and durable enough to endure various weather conditions. The most common material used for outer shell is polyester or nylon. That’s because polyester is durable and lightweight, whereas nylon is excellent in ruggedness. Both these materials wick away moisture so that you won’t feel too sweaty in summers.
Furthermore, few sleeping bags even have waterproof/weatherproof DWR (durable water repellent) coating to prevent water from soaking in.
Filling or Insulation
Your best sleeping bag for summer camping need NOT have maximum insulation. The reason being you don’t really seek warmth from summer bags.
Instead, summer sleeping bags have minimal filling inside to promote good airflow. The two most common types of insulation are synthetic filling and down filling.
- Down filling is derived from natural components such as birds’ feathers and it provides excellent warmth to weight ratio. Meaning, when compared to synthetic filling, even minimum down will be able to provide an equal amount of warmth. Summers down sleeping bags are fairly expensive, and also considerably lighter and compressible. But, they might lose their warmth when the down gets wet.
- Synthetic filling is another very popular option used as insulation. As opposed to down filling, synthetics can handle dampness better and can dry away quicker. Also, synthetic fill sleeping bags are comparatively more affordable.
Internal lining is what provides you comfort and cushioning while sleeping. The lining on the inside of a sleeping bag ought to be soft, comfortable and NOT shift from its place.
Poly-cotton blend, tricot, cotton, and polyester are widely used materials for liner. Amongst these, cotton is probably the softest.
Before you make your purchase, you need to look at the temperature rating of a sleeping bag.
The provided rating is a measure of the lowest temperature at which the sleeping bag will perform its best and keep you warm. This also means that the rating provided on the bag needs to be lower than the lowest temperature you’d expect on your campground or adventure site.
- Summer bags are generally rated for 35°F and above. Rating lesser than this can make you feel too warm and sweaty during summer camping.
Season rating is also a significant factor to look at while buying your best sleeping bag for summer. This becomes very helpful for people who don’t understand insulation or temperature ratings.
- 2-season sleeping bags are versatile in nature, as they can be used during summer nights but in colder regions.
- A 3-season sleeping bag is an excellent choice for those who’d like to camp in autumn and springs as well. Such bags have maximum filling to keep you all cozy and warm, even when the temperature falls drastically.
- 4-season bags are intended for winter camping, as they have heavy insulation and some or the other added features to keep you fully warm.
More: Find Out The Best 4-Season Tent here
Sleeping bags are produced in various shapes and sizes. Some of them are as follows:
- Rectangular: Rectangular sleeping bags are usually more spacious and roomy- ideal for large-bodied people. Due to their bulky design, these might not really appeal backpackers, but car campers might love its generous design. The best thing about rectangular bags is that most of them can be unzipped completely and used as a comforter as well. Only thing is that they cannot retain much heat due to their larger spacious design. And, that is why most summer sleeping bags are of rectangular type!
- Mummy: Mummy-style sleeping bags are ergonomically designed to conform to the shape of your body snugly. Which is why it is wider at the top and goes narrower at the bottom. Mummy bags retain heat better, so they keep you warm in colder weather conditions. Plus, they cinch down easily and are compact to carry around.
- Semi-rectangular: Semi-rectangular sleeping bags have a mummy-style rounded shape, but with a wider cut to make it more spacious. These bags let you move or roll around easily, and don’t restrict your movement. Such design is great for claustrophobic campers who need a fair amount of warmth as well.
Avid backpackers and hiking enthusiasts need to check the weight of the sleeping bag before purchase, as it matters the most. For other types of camping, the weight won’t make much difference.
Anyhow, summer sleeping bags are generally feather-light, as there’s less insulation used. If you’re looking for a lighter bag, go for a mummy-style design.
Now, apart from weight, one must also see whether the bag rolls down compactly for easy storage or not.
Extra Bells and Whistles
Some additional features can make a huge difference to your camping experience.
- Sleeping bags that have full-length zippers allow you to enter or exit the bag easily. Few bags even have a unique zipper system to prevent the zipper from snagging the fabric.
- Moreover, a pillow sleeve, a comfortable hood, hand pockets, etc. all these features can take your comfort to a whole new level.
- Some sleeping bags have NO insulation; rather they come with a sleeping pad sleeve for you to slide the pad in. Such sleeping bags roll down easily, are more compressible and lighter than other summer bags.
Your camping trip can really get more enjoyable when you are armed with the right kind of gear.
Summer sleeping bags are capable of providing that much-needed comfort and warmth during summer nights. Wondering, which one is your best summer sleeping bag?
All things considered, the Big Agnes clearly wins the show with its superior, lightweight design. It’s plush, cozy down filling, spacious design, and top-notch materials used are some of its best highlights.
Few of its bells and whistles are also quite impressive such as storage loops, top corner pockets, pillow sleeves, and double zippers. These features are missing in other summer sleeping bags mentioned here. So, that’s what makes it stand out from the rest.