A new form of leisurely lounging is taking the world by storm. Hammock chairs have been a rising trend in the past. However, In 2021 they are permeating homes, both indoor and outdoor, with permanence.
Ready to get one for yourself? Check out the best hammock chair of 2021 — Hammock Sky’s XXL Hammock Chair Swing. This size and style of hammock chair checks all the boxes for leisurely lounging.
In this hammock chair review, we’ll delve into the qualities of the top 8 hammock chairs to show you what makes them great.
Read on to find the best hammock chair for your space.
|Best Overall||XXL Hammock Chair Swing by Hammock Sky||
|Best Budget Option||Chihee Hammock Chair||
|Highwild Hanging Rope Hammock Chair||
|Flower House Hanging Pumpkin Loveseat Chair with Stand||
|Sorbus Hanging Rope Hammock Chair||
|Y- STOP Hammock Chair||
|Hammock Sky Large Brazilian Hammock Chair||
|GARTIO Hanging Tree Tent||
Review of Hammock Chairs for Camping
- Stretch out & feel weightless - Lay back and relax as you enjoy this roomy, soft and extra-comfortable hammock chair. The XXL size comes in three unique, soothing color tones to match your home décor - whether hanging indoor or outdoor on the porch, balcony, patio or yard.
- Extra comfy jumbo hammock - Many hammock chairs force you to sit up due to their small size - you’ve never truly relaxed until you’ve tried this one! The larger 73-inch length and soft cotton fabric allow even a fully-grown adult to kick back and relax completely.
- Great for kids, families & pets - This hammock chair features a solid fabric bed that is impossible to fall through, meaning kids, pets and the whole family can lounge, enjoy and be safe at all times. The thicker spreader bar of this hammock chair also allows for a greater weight capacity of 330 lbs - unmatched by other chairs.
- Best hammock chair quality & lifetime warranty - We've been selling Hanging Chairs for over a decade. Don't be fooled by cheaper versions which are often undersized & can fall apart with poor stitching & lower quality end-loops. We offer a LIFETIME WARRANTY.
- Includes free hanging hardware & drink holder - Your purchase includes TWO free bonuses! The complete hanging hardware (everything you need to hang the hammock chair) and a detachable hammock drink holder, so you can enjoy a cool beverage while you swing or relax.
The best overall hammock chair is the XXL Hammock Chair Swing by Hammock Sky. We’ve selected this hammock chair as our top pick because its simple design is durable and meets the needs of most customers.
The XXL Hammock Chair Swing by Hammock Sky is a Brazillian style hammock chair. This style is a hybrid between an upright chair and a traditional hammock. Its loose fabric allows you to lounge while still keeping you in a sitting position.
The material is a soft woven cotton-polyester blend that is comfortable against your skin but holds up over time. The exact makeup of the material is 65% colorfast cotton and 35% polyester.
Let’s talk specifics. This hammock chair measures 73 x 40 x 60 inches (LWH). The weight of the hammock chair and hanging hardware combined is 5.06 pounds. A hammock chair this size allows you to lounge with a pet, partner, or your whole family. Just keep in mind that you stay under the 330-pound weight capacity.
Hammock Sky’s Hammock Chair Swing comes with a detachable drink holder and all necessary hanging hardware. Plus, there are three color options to choose from, so you can tailor the chair to fit your style.
- Most Relaxing and Comfortable.Hanging chairs are the trend of the moment!If you look around, you'll see them springing up more and more often.Which makes perfect sense, as a hanging chair allows you to sit like a king and brings you almost immediately into zen mode.The great thing about the hanging chair is that it combines the relaxation of a hammock with the slightly more active posture of sitting in a chair. This makes the hanging chair ideal for sipping a drink or reading a book.
- Extremely Convenient:Hanging chair takes up relatively little space compared to a hammock. It only has 1 suspension point, which is located directly above the hanging chair. This means that you can quickly and easily hang the hanging chair in many different places. For example, easily hang it from a branch of a tree, or from a beam under your roof canopy or porch.You can also hang them in your balcony, terrace, living room, children's room, kids bedroom, attic, etc.
- Safe and strong.Our hammock chair is equipped with a strong wood bar of approx.There are two grooves at the ends of the wood bar to catch the rope and prevent slipping. There are 26 hanging cords on each side of the chair to distribute weight and keep balance. The cotton-blend chair cloth increases the load-bearing capacity of the chair and the wear resistance of the fabric. The chair has passed the SGS test (report shown in Figure 2) ,the load capacity is up to 150kg/330 pounds.
- Key Guide:The best height for a hanging chair is at least 30 to 40 centimetres (11.8 to 15.7 inches)off the ground. Not lower, because the fabric of the hanging chair stretches slightly when you sit in it. The hanging chair shouldn't hang much higher, either. The best position is when your legs can reach the floor when you stretch them slightly. Like digging your heels into sand at the beach, perhaps.
- After-Sales Service:Each chair is handcrafted,if there are process defects,or the chairs are damaged within one year from the date of purchase, we will definitely provide a new replacement.
If you’re in the market for a hammock chair that is budget-friendly, check out the Chihee Hammock Chair. This hammock chair swing is similar to our top pick for half the price.
The Chihee Hammock Chair is a large size. It measures 39 inches wide and 51 inches long. This chair features 26 hanging cords on each side so your weight will be distributed evenly. Not only does this enhance the durability of the chair, but it also makes it more comfortable to sit in. Additionally, the rod that the chair hangs from has two grooves on either side to prevent the chair from falling.
This hammock chair is made of a blend of cotton and polyester. Specifically, it is 70% cotton and 30% polyester. This combination of materials allows the hammock swing to be breathable and durable. It also has reinforced stitching to strengthen stress zones.
This hammock chair does not come with hanging hardware. However, it is compatible with most C-stands or can be hung using an eye hook. Chihee does include a polyester rope for hanging. However, we recommend switching it out for a more durable rope or chain, especially if you expect to near the 330-pound weight capacity.
The Chihee Hammock Chair comes packaged in its own storage bag. This bag is very convenient if you plan to take your hammock chair camping. It easily rolls up into the bag and only weighs 3 pounds when packed. A great option if you are looking for a portable hammock chair.
- ▶ SAFE & STRONG - Sturdy Steel Spreader Bar makes the hammock swing more stable, its Anti-Slip Rings can effectively prevent the rope from slipping. It has strong strength for supporting your weight and can holds up to 500lbs
- ▶ RELIABLE & DURABLE - This hammock is handcrafted from soft and durable polyester cotton ropes and canvas fabric, it brings great softness, durability and comfort
- ▶ CONVENIENCE - This stylish hammock swing hangs anywhere and is easy to relocate. Simply find a branch, beam or hammock stand and set it up in seconds
- ▶ Perfect for relaxing with the hammock chair in your bedroom, patio, yard, garden. This comfortable chair allows you to sit above the ground and sway in the breeze
- ▶ Includes 1 Hammock Chair Swing(Beige), 2 Seat Cushions, 1 Vacuum Storage Bag and 1 Carabiner; Hanging hardware is not included
Now, we understand if a 330-pound weight capacity just doesn’t cut it for you. Whether you need the extra strength or just cherish the added durability, we found the perfect hammock chair for you. The Highwild Hanging Rope Hammock Chair is the best hammock chair with a high weight capacity.
This hammock chair knocks it out of the park with its 500-pound weight limit. It has many features that play into its extra-strength including, its carbon steel crossbar. Not only is the steel bar strong, but it is also safe too. The bar on this chair features deeper grooves than the average hammock chair to ensure that the swing does not slide off.
Additionally, the fabric of this swing is more durable than others. The swing material is made of cotton-polyester canvas. Canvas is thick and durable and holds up well to natural wear and tear.
The swing itself measures 49 inches in length by 39 inches in width. Plus, it comes with two cushions (each measuring 18 x 18 inches). These cushions add an extra comfort level to the swing, but can easily be removed if you prefer not to use them. Altogether, the swing weighs about seven pounds.
Hanging hardware does not come included with this swing. The seller does provide a carabiner, but again we recommend switching it out for high quality hanging hardware. This will increase the life of your hammock swing and keep you safe while using it.
- Classic comfortable design
- A beautiful place to relax in your home or garden
- Durable, washable weather resistant fabric
- Overall 66" tall stand, 50" wide chair, and 43" high opening
- Weight Capacity:400 lbs. Cushion is 48" wide and 36" deep and 5" thick
We present to you the Flower House Hanging Pumpkin Loveseat Chair with Stand as a double whammy. This hanging hammock chair is the best hammock chair with a stand and is the best hammock chair for two people.
Think Papasan chair meets hanging hammock chair. The Flower House Hanging Pumpkin Loveseat is one hammock chair with extreme comfort. The cushion is 48 inches wide, 36 inches deep, and 5 inches thick. Plus, there are two cupholders to provide a place for your drinks while you lounge.
The half-sphere structure that makes up the swing is made of weather-resistant, mesh Textilene fabric. This material holds up well, rain or shine. It is also very durable with a weight capacity of 400 pounds.
The stand that comes with this hammock chair is 66 inches tall. The chair itself is 50 inches wide and opens up 43 inches wide. All in all, the chair and stand weighs 83 pounds.
With this in mind, the Flower House Hanging Pumpkin Loveseat Chair with Stand may not be the most ideal option for camping. However, it makes a great hammock chair to have in your backyard or on your front porch.
- HANGING ROPE HAMMOCK SWING — Find comfort with a stylish hammock swing —Hangs anywhere and easily relocates— Great addition to Balconies, Decks, Backyards and more
- LOUNGE & RELAX—Perfect for lounging and nestling into a cozy "cocoon" while reading a book, magazine, or tablet — Listen to the sound of rain, crickets, bird chirping, or enjoy a quiet night of stargazing
- PORTABLE— Lounge anywhere —Easily transport from one spot to the next or leave in one location all year
- INDOOR/OUTDOOR USE– Create a stylish outside lounging area or accent indoor décor— Hang outdoors between two trees in your favorite shady lawn spot, sun room, or porch
- DESIGN SPECIFICATIONS— Made of sturdy cotton and polyester fabric —Machine Washable — Suitable for all ages —holds up to 265 pounds —Hanging hardware NOT INCLUDED—Overall dimensions: 40X50" excluding rope - cushion dimensions: 17X17" - wooden bar dimensions: 1X31.5"
We’ve selected the Sorbus Hanging Rope Hammock Chair as the best hammock chair with cushions. This chair is perfectly sized for one person, plus the cushions add comfort and support.
The overall dimensions of the swing (not including the rope) are 40 x 50 inches. The swing comes with two included cushions, each measuring 17 x 17 inches. The smaller size of this swing does contribute to a lower weight capacity. The total weight capacity for this hammock chair is 265 pounds.
This hammock chair is made of a cotton-polyester blend. This type of fabric holds up well in the outdoors and is comfortable on the skin.
Sorbus has released three color options for this swing featuring bright stripes or a solid neutral color. Plus, this swing is fairly priced, so you can customize it to your style without making a huge investment.
- Comfortable Enjoyment, This fashionable hammock is comfortable and durable. It will not lose cotton thread, so that the user can enjoy the comfortable feeling of the soft sponge, and it is big enough, not like the other small size of the hanging chair, you can only sit up, this can let you lie down and enjoy fully relaxing, this is something that no other hammock chair can do
- Material, soft, sturdy hammock chair is made of soft polyester/cotton, to ensure that they are not torn or damaged, the use of traditional hanging chair is impossible to penetrate, so that it is a very good rest place for children or pets, and no smell, very comfortable chair
- Features, anytime, anywhere can easily move, in addition to the balcony, terrace, backyard outside more, reading books, magazines or tablets at the same time to hang out and snuggling in a comfortable "cocoon", listening to the rain, crickets, birds, or enjoy a quiet night that watches
- Accessories, Includes all hardware, 1 Stainless Steel Ceiling Mount, 2 Snap hooks, 1 Stainless Steel Chain, 8 screws for concrete and wood wall
- Dimensions, Wood about 40 inches long, about 50 inches high chair, pillow multiplied by 18 inches 18 inches, If you need a return, do not remove the tag from the hammock chair
If you prefer to swing in style, this is the hammock chair for you. Our luxury pick is the Y-Stop Hammock Chair. This chair adds an extra aesthetic flair to the typical Brazilian style hammock chair.
The Y-Stop Hammock Chair measures about 50 inches in height and hangs from a 40-inch long wooden crossbar. The material used on this swing is a thick cotton-polyester fabric. These specifications add up to a 330-pound weight capacity.
Two pillows, both measuring 18 x 18 inches, come included with the swing for comfort and style. In addition, there is a side pocket, measuring 8.7 x 7.9 inches, sewn into the inside wall of the swing. This pocket comes in handy for holding books, mobile devices, drinks, and more.
The macrame tassels hanging from the bottom edge of this swing are what really set it off. This detail adds to the swings aesthetic appearance making it suitable for indoor or outdoor use.
Included with the purchase of the Y-Stop Hammock Chair is all the necessary hanging hardware. And, good quality hardware at that. Additionally, Y-Stop includes a free storage bag for the hammock chair with your purchase.
- Feeling of weightlessness - Our Brazilian Style Hammock Chair is tightly woven with comfortable, long-lasting colorfast cotton thread that gives the user a euphoric feeling of laying on a soft sponge
- Best hammock chair quality & Lifetime warranty - We've been selling Hanging Chairs for over a decade. Don't be fooled by cheaper versions which are often undersized & can fall apart with poor stitching & lower quality end-loops. In fact, we offer a LIFETIME WARRANTY.
- Vibrant colors - Choice of vibrant colors meant to accentuate & enhance your porch, cottage or backyard decor
- Child, Family & Pet friendly - The solid fabric bed ensures safety for children & pets while being absorbent enough to take their abuse
- Indoor / Outdoor use - This Hammock Chair can be hung in the backyard, bedroom, living room, on the porch (makes for a colorful porch swing), on the balcony or at the cottage
Hammock Sky’s Large Brazilian Hammock Chair is a great hammock chair with extra length. This chair features a longer hammock than most hammock chairs which may be necessary for tall people or simply favorable in terms of comfort.
This swing measures 51 inches high and 40 inches wide. The length of the hammock material is 66 inches, which gives you ample room to spread out and make yourself comfortable. In total, the Hammock Sky Large Brazilian Hammock Chair is 3.74 pounds.
The material used on this hammock chair is a cotton-polyester blend comprising of 65% colorfast cotton and 35% polyester. This material is good for indoor or outdoor use. Plus, it can hold up to 300 pounds.
The Gartio Hanging Tree Tent is a great hammock chair for kids. It is suitable for adults but has many features that your kids will love.
We admit the Gartio Hanging Tree Tent is more of — well, a tent— than a hammock chair. This is exactly why it is favorable for children. It is an enclosed space with a wide opening that makes it easy to use and great to play in.
This hanging tent is made of 600D oxford cloth. This material is weather-resistant and durable. And, it can hold up to 330 pounds, so parents can enjoy the tent with their kids. The interior of the tent features a removable and inflatable cushion, as well as several storage pockets.
A battery-operated strand of LED lights up the interior at night. The strand is 118 inches long and features 20 bulbs that can switch from white to colored light.
This hammock tent is 46 inches tall. The bottom diameter of the tent is 43 inches and the top diameter is more narrow, at 26 inches. Gartio has included all hanging hardware with your purchase. When not in use, the tent folds up nearly flat.
Cotton and polyester are two popular materials used in the making of hammock chairs. You may have noticed that every hammock chair we reviewed is made of a blend of these two materials. This is because they mesh well to create a high performing indoor/outdoor material.
Cotton is a natural textile. It has qualities that make it highly breathable and soft against your bare skin. Both of these are positive qualities for an indoor or outdoor hammock chair. On the downside, cotton shrinks upon the first contact with water and is susceptible to mold in damp conditions.
Polyester is a manufactured material that often mimics cotton. It too can be soft. Plus, polyester is more weather resistant than cotton and performs better than cotton for outdoor purposes.
Together, cotton and polyester create a fabric that is strong, soft, and weather resistant. It’s the perfect combo for a hanging hammock chair.
The size of your hammock chair should be based on the intended use. A few things to keep in mind are how many people will be using the chair at once, your comfort preferences, and space you will be hanging the chair in.
Commonly, hammock chairs are designed for one adult. There are some two-person hanging hammock chairs on the market, but they are few and far between. We’ve scoped out the Flower House Hanging Pumpkin Loveseat Chair with Stand as a great two-person option.
Also, take into account how you like to sit in the chair. Smaller hammock chairs are great for those who prefer to sit upright in the hammock chair. Larger sizes or extra long hammock chairs give you more room to spread out and have more material to create a cocoon-like atmosphere. The Hammock Sky Large Brazilian Hammock Chair is a great extra-long option.
Arguably the most important question regarding your chair’s size is, will it fit in your space? You want to hang the chair well off the ground to give it room to sag when you sit in it. And, there needs to be enough space for the chair to completely turn around. Otherwise, the spreader bar could scrape against and damage your walls.
Weight Capacity goes hand in hand with size. Make sure you check the weight capacity before purchasing a hammock chair, to ensure that it meets your needs.
On average, hammock chairs hold about 300 pounds. However, the capacities range from roughly 250-500 pounds.
The hammock chair with the highest weight capacity in our review is the Highwild Hanging Rope Hammock Chair. This particular hammock chair can hold up to 500 pounds.
Hammock chairs come in all sorts of colors and patterns. Some have cushions, others don’t. Some are structured, others are flexible. And some have pockets and cup holders, whereas others are simply designed.
The most common style of hammock chair on the market is the Brazilian style hammock chair. This type of hammock chair has no structure and uses strings to hang a small hammock from a spreader bar. This style is sometimes referred to as a hanging rope hammock chair. Six of the eight hammock chairs in this review are Brazilian style.
Another common style of hammock chair is the hanging egg chair. This style is often hung from a stand and is structured and padded with a cushion insert. We’ve reviewed the Flower House Hanging Pumpkin Loveseat Chair with Stand to give you more information about this style of hammock chair.
Hanging hammock chairs are often graded for indoor or outdoor use. The stamp for outdoor approval typically indicates that a product has at least some waterproof factors. We also know that most hammock chairs are made of cotton-poly, which is a great waterproof material.
With this in mind, waterproofing your hammock chair is not necessary. Of course, you’ll want to check the specifications of your specific chair before you take our word on that.
However, it never hurts to be over-prepared. There are waterproofing products available to increase your hammock chair’s waterproofing capabilities. The easiest way to waterproof your hammock chair is to use a waterproofing spray, found at most sporting good stores. However, make sure you get a spray that is appropriate for the fabric your hammock is made of.
Ease of Installation
Hammock chairs with stands are the easiest to hang. Stands omit the need to drill holes and fasten hooks into your ceiling. However, hammock chair stands can be quite pricey.
Hanging a hammock indoors or under a porch is as easy as screwing a hook into a supportive beam and attaching a chain. If you’re taking your chair camping, you can hang it even easier. Simply wind a rope or chain around a strong tree branch and affix it to your hammock chair.
Pro Tip: Many hammock chairs do not come with hanging hardware included, or they come with low-grade hardware. You may want to consider upgrading your hardware to fit your weight capacity.
How do you hang a hammock chair from the ceiling?
Have no fear! Hanging a hammock chair is simple, once you know how to do it. And, there are many correct ways to hang a hammock chair.
One way to hang your hammock chair from the ceiling is to use an eye hook. Before you make any holes, measure to make sure you’re swing will hang at the right height. You want it to hang low enough to get into, but high enough that it has room to sag when you sit in it.
You must first locate a stud in the location you would like your hammock chair to hang. Then, drill a hole into that stud that matches the length of your eye hook. Once the lead hole has been drilled, you can screw in the eye hook. Be sure to tighten it as much as possible.
Once your hook is securely fastened into the ceiling, the hard part is over. Lastly, you can use a carabiner, strong rope, or chain to attach your swing to the eye hook.
What is the best hanging hardware for a hammock chair?
If your hammock chair doesn’t come with hanging hardware included, you can find full hammock chair hanging kits online or at hardware stores.
We like this hanging kit because it is innovative and easy to install. This kit allows your hammock chair to turn 360 degrees without twisting a rope or chain.
So, What Hammock Chair is the Best?
Our favorite hammock chair of 2021 is the Hammock Sky XXL Hammock Chair Swing. This hammock swing provides ample room for comfort and is built to last.
Two others at the top of our list are the Y-Stop Hammock Chair and the Highwild Hanging Rope Hammock Chair. The Y-Stop Hammock Chair has a practical side pocket and stylish macrame accent. And, the Highwild Hanging Rope Hammock Chair is reinforced and designed with tough materials to hold a large weight capacity.
Hanging hammock chairs are the newest form of leisurely lounging. Check out one for your home today!