Hammock sleepers rave about the comfortable sleep that a hammock can offer. As comfortable as hammocks are to some, for others they are restricting. And regardless of your sleeping preferences, hammocks are notoriously cold in the winter months.
A sleeping pad can solve both these problems by adding a layer of warmth and a more structured sleeping surface.
Our favorite sleeping pad for hammocks is the Klymit Insulated Static V Sleeping Pad.
However, there are many sleeping pads with different comfort and insulation levels that can benefit you on your next adventure. Read on to learn more.
|Overall best||Klymit Insulated Static V Sleeping Pad||
|runner up||Therm-a-Rest NeoAir XTherm Ultralight Backpacking Air Mattress||
|Best on budget||Sleepingo Inflatable Sleeping Pad||
|Therm-a-Rest Trail Pro Self-Inflating Foam Camping Mattress||
|Klymit Static V2 Sleeping Pad||
|KLYMIT Hammock V Sleeping Pad||
|Outdoorsman Lab Ultralight Sleeping Pad for Camping||
Review: Top 7 Hammock Sleeping Pads of 2021
Our choice for the best sleeping pad for hammock camping in 2021 is the Klymit Insulated Static V Sleeping Pad. This sleeping pad has been strategically engineered to provide warmth and comfort on the ground. However, many of its features make the Insulated Static V the ultimate hammock sleeping pad.
First of all— not necessarily a key feature for hammock camping, but paramount to any sleeping pad— the Insulated Static V’s blow valve has a backstop. I cannot say this enough, all sleeping pad valves should have backstops.
The valve on Klymit’s Insulated Static V Sleeping Pad has push/pull technology. This means you push the top of the valve in to inflate the pad. Then, pull it outwards when you are taking a breath, or when you are finished inflating. Not only does this make it a hundred percent easier to inflate, but it prevents air from escaping while you are laying on the pad.
This sleeping pad measures 72 x 23 x 2.5 inches when it is completely inflated. When you are on the go, the pad tightly compacts to only 8 x 5 inches. Its packed weight is 24 ounces.
As the name suggests, the Insulated Static V Sleeping Pad is insulated for cold weather camping. Its R-value is 4.4, which is quite impressive for a backpacking mattress.
Insulated sleeping pads make great hammock sleeping pads. Much of the heat from your body is lost through the thin fabric of the hammock while you sleep. Laying down an insulated pad creates a comfortable barrier that prevents that heat from escaping by bouncing it back toward your body.
The material of this sleeping pad is 75D polyester. This particular material is resistant to water and abrasions and is quiet when you are moving around on it.
The Insulated Static V features Klymit’s patented V-shaped design. The ribbed Vs on this pad provides support for your body whether you are on your side, stomach, or back. The side rails designed into this pad make this sleeping pad extremely comfortable in a hammock. The side rails form with the hammock and slightly cave in, creating added comfort and warmth.
The Klymit Insulated Static V is a high-performing sleeping pad that enhances hammock sleeping. It has an average rating of 9.5 stars.
- The XTherm offers the most warmth-per-ounce of any ultralight sleeping pad for backcountry pursuits
- Equipped with a dependable and rugged WingLock valve, the pad inflates 3 times faster than a classic valve and features lightning-fast deflation
- 6.9 R-value means the XTherm can insulate campers in extreme cold
- Patented Triangular Core Matrix delivers warmth using a continuous layer of thermal foam nestled between alternating ridges of air and foam
- Measures 77x25x2.5 inflated, packs to 11x4.5 inches, and weighs 20 ounces; pump sack, stuff sack and repair kit included; made in the USA
Next we have our runner up, The Therm-a-Rest NeoAir XTherm Ultralight Backpacking Air Mattress. This all-season sleeping pad uses innovative technology that will keep you warm while sleeping in a hammock. And, it’s made in the USA.
The NeoAir XTherm is made of nylon and has an R-value of 7.2, so it will keep you warm in extremely cold temperatures. Therm-a-Rest’s specialized ThermaCapture technology traps your body heat while their Triangular Core Matrix construction works to keep that heat in. Since body heat is easily lost through the underside of a hammock, this sleeping pad is a prime solution.
Contrary to what you may think, all of this cutting edge insulation technology is not bulky at all. The sleeping pad is 2.5 inches thick and categorized as ultralight, weighing in at only 15 ounces. The horizontal ribbing is uniform throughout the length of the pad. This design holds and distributes air with movement well, meaning it will keep you comfortable all night.
The Therm-a-Rest NeoAir XTherm comes in two sizes, regular and large. The regular inflates to 20 x 72 inches, and the large size inflates to 25 x 77 inches. Both pack down to 9 x 4 inches, which is about the size of a 1-liter Nalgene water bottle. Included with this sleeping pad are a stuff sack, repair kit, and pump sack (for winglock valves only).
Aside from sizing, Therm-a-Rest offers this pad in two styles. The first is equipped with a standard valve, and the second comes with a winglock valve. These options allow you to customize your sleeping pad to fit your camping and budget needs.
We recommend the winglock valve because it features one-way inflation, meaning the air you blow in will not escape during the inflation process. This style also comes with an included pump sack, which takes the lung work out of inflating your sleeping pad altogether.
The Therm-a-Rest NeoAir XTherm Ultralight Backpacking Air Mattress is a great sleeping pad for hammocks. It has an overall rating of 9.5 stars.
- 2" THICK SLEEP SUPPORT - you will love this sleeping pad! Want to sleep comfortably anywhere? No need to suffer with a cheap flimsy short outdoor sleeping pad! This quality portable camping mat pad is perfect. Super sturdy and extremely comfortable. Great for any sleep position.
- WEIGHS ONLY [14.5 OZ] AND PACKS DOWN TO THE SIZE OF THIN WATER BOTTLE - perfect for a backpacking sleeping pad! No worrying about room in your backpack, no backaches due to heavy weight and very convenient to carry. You’ll wish you found this years ago. Comes with a sleek storage pouch.
- THIS TOUGH, DURABLE, LARGE AND COMFY SLEEPING PAD FEATURES A LIFETIME WARRANTY - economically and practically efficient with an impressive size blown up of 75" X 23." This camping mattress pad will give you the comfort you need.
- TEAR RESISTANT WITH HEAVY DUTY RIPSTOP NYLON FABRIC – this lightweight sleeping pad is made of super strong waterproof and camping grade ripstop nylon fabric. With an impressive 20 denier thickness, this sleeping pad is used only for the strongest camping equipment designed to last a lifetime in the most severe conditions.
- HASSLE-FREE LIFETIME REPLACEMENT AND NO NEED TO RETURN - we take pride in our perfect customer service record on Amazon, and we promise to treat you like family - even for gifts! In addition to our lifetime replacement, if you aren't happy with your purchase, we will simply refund your money - no questions asked - just let the reviews speak for themselves!
For our budget option, we present to you the Sleepingo Inflatable Sleeping Pad. This product carries a lot of value for its price. It retails right around $40. Plus, it packs up extremely small and easy to carry.
The Sleepingo Inflatable Sleeping Pad is made of 20D ripstop nylon. This fabric is tear-resistant and waterproof. This sleeping pad easily inflates in 10-15 breaths. When inflated, the sleeping pad measures 75 x 23 inches. When deflated, it can roll up into the included carry bag measuring 8 x 3.5 inches.
This sleeping pad does not have insulation, so its R-value of 2.1 is quite a bit lower than others. It inflates to a thickness of 2 inches, which provides ample padding. And the interconnected air cell pattern is designed to distribute the air appropriately when you move around on the pad. Additionally, Sleepingo markets this pad as deflation proof.
The combination of strategic air cell pattern with deflation proof qualities will help keep you warm and comfortable in your hammock. This sleeping pad is rated for 3-seasons and is not recommended for use in freezing temperatures.
It appears that the Sleepingo company only sells on Amazon, but this should not be a cause for concern. Sleepingo offers a no-hassle lifetime warranty without even requiring you to return the product. If you are unhappy with this sleeping pad, they will simply refund your money.
Customer reviews praise the Sleepingo Inflatable Sleeping Pad. With over 20,000 reviews, it has an average rating of 9.6 stars.
- A four season, two inch thick self-inflating backpacking pad that packs small and self-inflates
- Diagonal-cut foam offers more warmth than the typical vertical-cut foam
- 4.0 R-value means the Trail Pro offers enough insulation for year-round camping and backpacking
- Expanding self-inflating foam delivers convenience and comfort for backcountry adventures
- Stuff sack included; made in the USA
We’ve chosen the Therm-a-Rest Trail Pro as the best, thick sleeping pad for hammock camping.
When you want the above-ground perks of hammock camping, with optimal comfort from a sleeping pad, this is the pad for you.
Therm-a-Rest’s Trail Pro is a self-inflating sleeping pad. It features foam padding to add an extra level of comfort. This also contributes to its 3 inches of thickness. When inflated, this sleeping pad measures 20 x 72 inches. It packs down to 11 x 8.8 inches. The total weight of this pad is 29 ounces. As you can see, there is a bit of a trade-off between size and comfort.
The Trail Pro is made of polyester and makes use of StrataCore construction. This design is Therm-a-Rest’s unique combination of a solid layer of thermal foam surrounded by ridges of air and foam. This level of insulation yields an R-value of 4.4. This means that the Trail Pro is suitable for year-round camping.
This 3-inch sleeping pad comes with a Winglock valve that offers one-way inflation and deflation. This style of valve inflates the pad three times faster than a standard valve.
The Therm-a-Rest Trail Pro Self-Inflating Foam Camping Mattress has rave reviews from customers. Its average rating is 9.6 out of 10 stars.
- Redesigned: the Classic static V design, Now 12% lighter and more Backpacker friendly; weighs only 16. 33 oz.
- Incredibly lightweight: new high end lighter fabrics for smaller pack size and weight. Dimensions: inflated 72 x 23 x 2. 5 inches
- V-chamber design limits air movement and heat loss; also provides better support and comfort
- Versatile: great for ground, cot, or hammock sleeping and ideal for every Adventure when ounces count
- Specifications: packed weight: 16. 6 oz. ; size: 3" X 8" - includes: stuff sack, patch
The Klymit Static V2 Sleeping Pad is our selection for the hammock sleeping pad with the best value. This sleeping pad is strategically engineered for comfort and made with top quality materials, yet it only costs about $45.
The Static V2 is a redesign of Klymit’s original Static V sleeping pad. The V2 is 12% lighter than the Static V, making it easier to carry. In total this sleeping pad weighs 16.33 ounces. When inflated, the V2 measures 72 x 23 x 2.5, and it packs up to the small size of 3 x 8 inches.
This sleeping pad is made of 30D polyester on top and 75D polyester on the bottom. Klymit has strengthened the underside to ensure that the pad will outlast the dangers of protruding sticks or rocks. There is no insulation in the Static V2. Its R-value is 1.3.
The V2 features Klymit’s famous V-shaped pattern. This design has been engineered to put pressure on the body’s major pressure points to create a comfortable sleep. The square tufted side rails are made to center you on the sleeping pad to prevent you from rolling off of it. The deep crevices of the V design also allow your sleeping pad to loft and keep you warm.
The Klymit Static V2 Sleeping Pad is fairly priced for all it offers. This pad has an average rating of 9.4 stars.
- Sport Type: Outdoor Lifestyle
- Package Height Of The Item Is 4.0"
- Package Length Of The Item Is 8.0"
- Package Width Of The Item Is 4.0"
Our selection for the best butterfly-shaped sleeping pad for hammocks is the Klymit Hammock V Sleeping Pad. This sleeping pad was designed and engineered specifically for hammocks, so it is pretty much guaranteed to be a good fit for most hammock sleepers.
Throughout this review, there has been a lot of talk about the benefit of side rails on a hammock sleeping pad. The Klymit Hammock V Sleeping Pad goes a step further by adding wings.
There are four wings on this sleeping pad that mold to the sides of the hammock. This design adds extra structure and comfort to the hammock while also blocking drafts from entering the bottom or sides of the hammock.
That’s not the only benefit to hammock sleeping that this pad has to offer. Klymit has included coated non-slip zones on the top and bottom of the Hammock V. These non-slip zones are designed to keep your pad and your sleeping bag in place.
The Hammock V Sleeping Pad fits all standard single and double-wide hammocks. The exact measurements are 78 x 47 x 2.5. The weight of the sleeping pad is 36 oz. It is made of 20D polyester which is both durable and water-resistant.
The Hammock V also features Klymalite Synthetic insulation. This type of insulation specializes in warming your sleeping environment by slowing the rate that air transfers through the sleeping pad. The R-value for this pad is 4.4.
The Klymit Hammock V has several features intended to improve hammock sleeping. The fact that this pad is intended for hammock use makes it a worthy choice. The overall rating for this sleeping pad is 9.5 stars.
- Best Design for Active Outdoor Enthusiasts: After years of drafting, producing, and testing tons of sleeping mat designs, the OutdoorsmanLab team finally came up with the best air pad design to best serve you, an active outdoor enthusiast. Yes, OutdoorsmanLab is the original inventor of this popular design (Patent Number: D802,336) - unmatched quality from the sleeping pad that started it all - OutdoorsmanLab.
- Perfect for Backpackers and Hikers: The Ultralight sleeping pad can roll up to 8x3 and weighs only 14.5oz - similar to a water bottle. This is perfect for backpackers who want to pack light and compact. No worry about being bulky and heavy. It’s the worry-free option for serious adventurers - no back aches carrying it or headaches setting it up.
- Sleep Better Under the Stars After a Long Day of Hiking: Even though it is very compact, this camping pad expands to 73 x 22 and has an optimal thickness of 2.2 inches. Active outdoorsmen find this thickness extremely comfortable, even for back sleepers and side sleepers. With an R-value of 2.2, you can stay nice and toasty camping out in temps all the way down to 40 F (4 C). It has no chemical smell and doesn't have noise. You’ll wake up refreshed, energized, and ready to explore nature.
- Easy Inflation & Deflation for Explorers on the Go: Our camping mat has an easy-to-use air valve for quick inflation (only 10-15 breaths). A few more breaths provide extra firmness & support. Deflation is also very easy by pushing the black rubber piece inside the valve "inside-out" to create a 'leak’. Then, simply start folding the pad away from the valve, toss the light, compact mat in your pack, and proceed to your next adventure!
- Quality Guaranteed or Your Money Back: OutdoorsmanLab sleeping pads are carefully inspected before shipping to ensure that they are in perfect condition, especially since so many buy our exclusively-designed sleeping pads as gifts. Your sleeping pad is built to last and provide you with as many great nights of sleep as possible. If we don’t live up to any of these promises, we insist that you contact us so we can issue a refund + free sleeping pad on us!
The best ultralight sleeping pad for hammocks is the Outdoorsman Lab Ultralight Sleeping Pad.
The Outdoorsman Lab Ultralight Sleeping Pad weighs only 14.5 ounces. Plus, when it is rolled up and packed in its carry bag, it measures only 8 x 3. It is incredibly lightweight and easy to pack.
This sleeping pad is made of 20D nylon ripstop, which is an extremely durable material. It also has a TPU coating to increase its resistance to water and punctures. When inflated, the Outdoorsman Lab pad takes a mummy shape and measures 73 x 21.6.
This pad is 2.2 inches thick, so it can give you a good cushion to help you sleep. The diamond pattern with divots allows your sleeping bag to loft underneath you to improve warmth fully. There is no insulation in this pad. Its R-value is 2.2, which means it is suitable for three seasons of camping.
The Outdoorsman Lab Ultralight Sleeping Pad inflates in just 10-15 breaths, and its specialized valve releases air in seconds. This pad is extremely user friendly. It has an overall rating of 9.4 out of 10 stars.
The 3 Types of Hammock Sleeping Pads
The three types of hammock sleeping pads on the market are closed-cell foam pads, air pads, and self-inflating pads.
Closed-cell foam pads are dense foam pads that are often around one inch thick. These pads are the least popular of hammock sleeping pads, mostly because they do not condense very small and are harder to pack. In our opinion, foam sleeping pads are becoming outdated, so we haven’t included any in this review.
Air pads are the most popular. They inflate in just 10-15 breaths using a sealable valve. Once inflated, air pads are about 2 inches thick. There are many benefits of air pads. They are easy to inflate and deflate. They roll up very small, so they are easy to pack. And they are lightweight.
Self-inflating pads take the major benefits from both foam and air pads and combine them into one sleeping pad. Self-inflating sleeping pads are usually on the thicker side (2.5-3 inches). Their most favorable quality is the self-inflating feature. A combination of foam and air inside the sleeping pad allows the self-inflating pad to inflate on its own once the valve is opened.
How to Choose the Correct Size of Sleeping Pad
Sleeping size should be taken into account based on the height and weight of the camper that will be using it.
Many sleeping pads are available in regular or large sizes. Some even have extra-wide options. Typically, a regular-sized sleeping pad measures about 20” x 72” and a large-sized sleeping pad measures around 25” x 77”. Each of these sizes will fit in a standard size hammock.
Which Shape of Sleeping Pad is Best for a Hammock?
The two most common sleeping pad shapes are mummy and rectangle. Sleeping pads that are made specifically for hammocks have a butterfly shape.
Mummy shaped sleeping pads are slim and fit well into any hammock. The end of a mummy shaped sleeping pad is tapered, which is beneficial to hammocks because it saves space inside the hammock. Another benefit of mummy-shaped sleeping pads is that they are lighter by a few ounces because of that tapered end.
Rectangle sleeping pads are not tapered like mummy pads. One benefit of rectangular sleeping pads in terms of hammock camping is that they often have side rails. Side rails are designed to keep you centered on the sleeping pad. When this type of pad is used in a hammock, the side rails cave in slightly to keep you cocooned and block some of the sidewall drafts.
It should be no surprise that butterfly sleeping pads are a prime option for hammocks because they are intended specifically for hammocks. Butterfly shaped sleeping pads have wings that extend off the sides of the pad. These wings curve with the walls of the hammock. This adds comfort and also blocks cold air from coming in through the sides of the hammock.
Sleeping Pads Ranked From Lightest to Heaviest
The most lightweight sleeping pads are mummy air pads. Their tapered ends require less material, which shaves off a few ounces. Mummy air pads without insulation typically weigh in around 14 ounces.
Rectangle pads are slightly heavier than mummy pads. Most rectangle pads weigh around 16 ounces depending on their insulation qualities.
Self-inflating pads are the next heaviest. The foam used inside of these pads is where the extra weight comes from. Self-inflating pads sit around 29 ounces, depending on the specifications.
The heaviest sleeping pads are butterfly-shaped pads because of the extra surface area. The Klymit Hammock V Sleeping Pad in this review weighs 36 ounces.
Warmth Measured by R-Value, Here’s What You Need to Know
Sleeping pad warmth is measured in R-values. An R-value expresses the pad’s ability to keep heat, thus a higher R-value yields more warmth.
Therm-a-Rest provides us this visual which explains that any R-value under 2 should be used only in warm weather conditions. R-values between 2-4 are suitable for 3-season camping. And, R-values greater than 4 are appropriate for freezing temperatures.
The Best Thickness of Pad for Hammocks
Most inflatable sleeping pads range from two to three inches thick. A well-designed 2” sleeping pad is capable of providing comfort and warmth in your hammock. Thicker sleeping pads, such as the Therm-a-Rest Trail Pro, often offer a more structured or stabilized feeling while you sleep.
One thing to keep in mind is, the thicker your pad, the less headspace you have with the hammock closed.
The Benefits of a Pump Sack
A pump sack is a bag similar to the sleeping pad’s stuff sack. The key difference is that a pump sack has a hole that connects to your sleeping pad’s valve.
Once connected, all you have to do is blow into the pump sack to fill it with air. Then roll the pump sack up and continue to roll it as the air transfers from the pump sack to the sleeping pad. This method is quick and easy, and great for those who want to save their breath.
More and more sleeping pads are coming with an included pump sack. Check out the Therm-a-Rest NeoAir XTherm if you want a pump sack with your next sleeping pad purchase.
The Absolute Best Sleeping Pad for Hammock Camping
After reviewing our top 7 picks for the best sleeping pad for hammock camping, the Klymit Insulated Static V Sleeping Pad is our winner.
The Insulated Static V has lightweight, insulating, and compactable features that make it great for hammock sleeping whether you are car camping or backpacking.
Other great options include Therm-a-Rest’s NeoAir XTherm Ultralight Sleeping Pad and the Sleepingo Inflatable Sleeping Pad. We’ve selected these pads to meet a variety of camping and budget needs.
Check out any of these top 7 sleeping pads to add an extra level of comfort to your next hammock camping adventure.