If you are an outdoor aficionado but dislike the thought of setting up your tent after a long day of hiking, check out inflatable tents. With inflatable tents, gone are the days of struggling with tent poles when all you want to do is relax and spend time with your family at the campground.
Inflatable tents are incredibly easy to assemble, as they do not require any poles for set-up. Rather, the tent uses tubes or columns of air for support. Benefits of inflatable tents include a fast and simple set-up, inexpensive pricing, and easy transportability.
The best overall inflatable tent in this product round-up is the Vango Odyssey Air Tent, thanks to its roominess, durability, and convenient features. However, there are tons of other fantastic options, so read on to learn more and find the best inflatable tent for you and your camping buddies.
|Best Overall||Vango Odyssey Air Tent||
|Premium Option||Heimplanet Original Fistral Tent||
|Best Budget Option||Kelty Sonic 6 AirPitch Tent||
|Coleman Steel Creek Fast Pitch Dome Tent||
|Moose Outdoor Inflatable Tent||
|Timber Ridge 6-Person Instant Camping tent||
|CORE 9 Person Instant Cabin Tent||
|Original AirFort Build-a-Fort||
Vango Odyssey Air Tent: Best Overall
- 6 Person air beam tent with inflatable poles, quick and easy to pitch
- The beams in a Vango air beam create a strong and rigid tent structure. Very easy and quick to pitch
- Pre-angled air beams - achieves greater internal space than with a standard curve. Provides effective bracing against side winds
- Linked-in groundsheet, easy to clean and can be attached or detached from the living area
- Protex 70D 4,000Mm hh polyester flysheet - highly waterproof and durable fabric exclusive to Vango
The Vango Odyssey Air Tent is the winner of this product round-up due to its roomy size, stable body structure and flysheet that protects against the elements, and extra features built into the tent. The Vango is a tent that’s sure to bring years of comfort to your camping adventures.
Marketed with a quick 8-minute set-up window, the Vango Odyssey Air Tent will save you the hassle of fighting with tent poles and spending hours setting up your tent. Its interior beams are pre-bent to create a strong, supportive structure that inflates swiftly.
The Vango Odyssey features polyvinyl carbonate windows that let in the light and the breeze, so you can stay cool while relaxing in a space full of ambiance. On the flip side, the tent also features a “lights out” bedroom area for ultimate darkness when you wish to sleep without disruption from the light.
The Vango Odyssey has a maximum occupancy of six campers, and its center height is tall enough to stand up in, making this tent a very useful option for hosting a large group of campers. There is also an included room divider so that you can create private sleeping areas if so desired.
If you feel a powerful storm coming on, you can attach the included tension band system to keep the tent standing strong even at high wind speeds. The Vango also boasts a linked-in groundsheet to keep insects and moisture away, preventing coldness at night.
For ventilation and comfort, the Vango also features an air zone ventilation system and large windows, as well as two doors to prevent warm air and condensation from sticking around. Extra features of the Vango include a carrying bag, lantern hanging points, storage pockets for your important gear, and cable entry points in the tent for your convenience.
HEIMPLANET Original Fistral Tent – Inflatable Pop Up Tent: Premium Option
- SET UP - With our tents you only need to connect the airframe, inner tent, and outer tent once before your first use. After that your tent can simply be rolled out like a sleeping bag, pumpen up and fixated with pegs in case of strong winds. To pack up simply open one of the valves to deflate the airframe and roll up the tent to put it back in the pack sack.
- ONE PUMP SYSTEM - The airchambers of the frame are connected. That way, the entire tent can be pitched using only one valve. After the tent is pumped up within few seconds, disconnect the airchambers using the small clips attached so that the tent remains stable even if one airchamber is damaged (Multi Chamber Safety System).
- STABILITY - Thanks to the geodesic frame structure our tents are extremely stable. Even our largest tent can withstand windspeeds up to 110mph.
- FLEXIBILITY - Thanks to the light weight and small packing size of the tent the FISTRAL is great for trips where mobility is essential.
- FACTS - Packing Size: 15x8x8in, Weight: 5.5lbs, Ground Area: 31 square feet, Double-layer air struts, 5000mm water column, see Heimplanet Groundsheets for extra floor protection.
The Heimplanet Original Fistral Tent is the most premium pick in this product round-up. Built for two cozy campers, the Heimplanet can withstand three seasons thanks to its advanced design, so you can rest easy knowing that this tent will protect you from the elements.
Based on the geodesic principle, meaning that tents with a geodome shape like the Heimplanet have an excellent, sturdy structure, the Heimplanet is made with an “inflatable diamond grid,” of double layers of inflatable air beams. Thanks to this, the tent keeps its structure even in high winds.
The Heimplanet is patented with the “Multi-Chamber Safety System” that allows a camper to inflate or deflate the whole tent all at once. Each air beam, or chamber, is constructed with an outer layer of high-tensile polyester fabric for strength and an inner thermoplastic polyurethane tube to keep the air inside and the tent inflated.
Thanks to its multiple chambers, each section stands on its own. If one section is damaged due to an outside force, the rest of the structure will remain inflated and stand strong so that the entire tent does not collapse on top of you.
There is also a 2-in-1 valve within each chamber that functions to inflate or deflate the frame, depending on the direction of airflow. These valves make sure that both assembly and disassembly of the Heimplanet are always quick and painless.
Any section of the air beams, such as a valve or an inner or outer layer, can be replaced individually in case of damage. This makes repairing the tent much less frustrating.
The Heimplanet Original Fistral Tent is quite lightweight despite being so durable. With a weight of only 5.5 pounds, it is extremely stable for its size and can easily be carried in a backpack.
There are two doors to the tent for easy access and exit. The Heimplanet also features a rip-stop polyester flysheet and rip-stop nylon across its interior for durability. There is also a polyurethane nylon groundsheet to keep water from seeping into the tent in case of rain.
The first time you set up the Heimplanet, all you need to do is connect the airframe to the tent’s inner and outer sections and then inflate the tent. After this first time, the unit stays assembled, and you only need to inflate it for subsequent uses.
Kelty Sonic 6-Person Airpitch Tent: Best Budget Option
- Packaged Weight: 18lb 13oz
- Floor Area: 100.5ft2
- Single Wall Tent
- One Large room for 6 people
- Large volume, double action pump included
The Kelty Sonic 6-Person Airpitch Tent is the best choice if you are trying to find an inflatable tent on a budget. At only $37.73, the Kelty Sonic Airpitch Tent is a steal if you’re looking for a tent large enough to accommodate several campers.
Constructed with 68-denier polyester and aluminum poles, the Kelty is built for three seasons. It has a roomy floor area of over 100 square feet, which is perfect for multiple campers to sleep comfortably. Officially, the Kelty is rated for six campers. Its single walls make the tent feel even roomier, and the full coverage floor keeps insects and moisture away.
Ventilation is the game’s name, thanks to fly vents placed high and low inside the tent. This makes the Kelty a great summer camping tent that will keep you cool.
The Kelty also features silent zippers, so you won’t have to worry about disturbing your campmates’ sleep in the middle of the night.
With a quick set-up time of less than one minute, thanks to Kelty’s included dual-action floor pump, you can leave the frustration of setting up your tent in the past. To disassemble, all you have to do is unplug the tent, and it deflates itself.
- 6-person dome tent features a separate screen room for insect-less lounging and extra sleeping space
- Fast Pitch tent design sets up in about 7 minutes
- WeatherTec system and rainfly keep tent interior dry and comfortable
- Durable Polyguard fabric and strong frame designed to last season after season
- Measures 10 x 9 feet with 10- x 5-foot screen room; accommodates 2 queen-sized airbeds
The Coleman Steel Creek Fast Pitch 6-Person Dome Tent is the most durable tent in this product round-up. Rated for three seasons, the Coleman Steel Creek Fast Pitch can truly withstand the elements, giving you years of camping life. Although the Coleman is not a true inflatable tent, it is extremely quick to set up and is worth comparing to the inflatable tents.
The Coleman’s namesake comes from the patented “Fast Pitch” system, which incorporates pre-attached, color-coded poles and hubs with an “Insta Clip” suspension type, making sure that the tent can be very easily and quickly assembled in 50% of the time compared to traditional tents.
Built for three seasons, the Coleman Steel Creek Fast Pitch also features waterproof flooring, awnings on the windows, a zippered door cuff, durable seams, and a WeatherTec system that prevents moisture from getting inside the tent and disrupting your sleep. Impressively, the frame can stand up against over 35 miles per hour winds.
The Coleman Steel Creek Fast Pitch is built with ventilation in mind, as the tent features a screen room attached to the tent itself, allowing in a gentle breeze. The screen is constructed with no-see-um mesh to prevent insects from infesting your sleeping space as well.
Built to hold up to six campers, the Coleman Steel Creek Fast Pitch has an interior space of 10×9 feet, plus 10×5 feet of extra space for the screened section. The tent’s roominess makes for a very comfortable living space.
Finally, the Coleman features reflective guylines, an important feature when you’re trying not to trip over your tent in dim lighting. There are also storage pockets for keeping your gear when not in use and an extension cord port. The purchase also comes with a carrying bag for traveling convenience.
- Quick 3 Minute Set-Up: Unlike traditional tents, Moose Outdoor tents are designed to to be set up and taken down in the easiest way possible. The tents easily inflate by air pump in under 3 minutes and deflate in seconds by simply opening a valve.
- Superior Stability: Moose Outdoor Company tents are made with durable ripstop tenting fabric.The instant tents are 3000 MM water resistant with an attached groundsheet. The high quality material is breathable and windproof at 33 mph.
- Large Capacity: Our tent measures a spacious 10.5 x 8.8 x 4.2 ft. The family tent is ideal for 4 people. A comfortable living space combines with a built-in sunshade making a covered area. Great for family camping, picnics, backpacking and plenty of outdoor activities.
- Suitable for All Occasions: The tent is design for multi-purpose use. It is perfect for camping, outdoor picnics, backpacking or backyard family gatherings. The Moose Outdoor 4 Person tent will fulfill all of your needs for multiple outdoor activities.
- Satisfaction Guaranteed: Moose Outdoor Company is committed to providing consumers with the absolute best price and best value for our entire line of products. Each of our products qualifies for a full 3 month warranty, Our exceptional customer service team will provide premium service to solve any problem which might arise.
Measuring 10.5 x 8.8 x 4.2 feet inside, the Moose Outdoor Inflatable Tent is the best tent for a small family, as it is meant for up to four campers. With a set-up time of under three minutes, you and your loved ones can get back to the fun in no time.
The Moose is built with the company’s patented QuikFrame technology, with inflatable pillars that allow for such a quick and painless set-up. Simply unpack the tent, inflate the pillars, and stake it down with the six included ground stakes. To disassemble the tent, all you have to do is open a valve and the tent will self-deflate.
Featuring a sunshade that makes for a fantastic picnic space or lounging area, this tent is truly family-friendly and is a great option for those who wish to camp in comfort.
The Moose inflatable tent is also built for optimal air circulation, as it features two riser vents to expel hot air from the interior during the day to make sure you always stay cool. These vents are covered to keep water out as well.
Rip-stop fabric helps prevent holes and water leakage, making the tent 100% waterproof and windproof up to 33 miles per hour. The Moose inflatable tent also comes with a sewn-in groundsheet for protection from water seepage or insect infestations.
If you buy the Moose Inflatable Tent, you also get a three-month warranty, a carrying bag, stakes, and patches if you ever encounter a tear in your tent fabric.
Timber Ridge Camping Tent – 6 Person Instant Tent – 10×10 Feet Portable Cabin Tent
- Capacity: This 6 person instant tent base measures 10x10 feet, center height 78 inches, sleeps 6 people comfortably. Family tent provides large enough space for you to enjoy your outdoor activities with your friends or family
- No Assembly Required: Quick open system instant tent, easy and quick set up in less than 10 minutes, great for outdoor camping. Save your precious time and energy, no need to worry about set up a camping tent will take you a lot of time
- Ventilation: This 6 person instant tent designed with 3 zippered large mesh roll up windows to have continuous air flow. Top mesh window of this camping tent providing adequate ventilation. Rainfly for protection against the rain
- Convenient: This 6 man tent designed with 1 O-shaped door for easy entry and exit. Also designed with a mesh storage bag for easy accessibility of your phones, keys or other essentials when you relaxing in this instant camping tent
- Versatile: As a very practical family tent, it can brings you a perfect experience in your outdoor activities such as camping, hiking or fishing. We back our products with a full 1 year manufacturer's warranty against any defective workmanship
The Timber Ridge 6-Person Instant Camping tent has the most extra features. With its tall center height, fast set-up time, rolling windows and exceptional mesh placement for ventilation, bathtub flooring and rainfly for waterproofing, extension cable port, lantern hook, and storage bag, the Timber Ridge sure brings a lot to the campsite.
As the Timber Ridge is a cabin-style tent, it is made with roominess in mind. Six people can comfortably sleep in the Timber Ridge, and it features 100 square feet of living area on the interior, which creates a very comfortable space. Straight walls add to the feeling of roominess inside the tent as well.
With a maximum center height of 78 inches, the Timber Ridge Instant Camping Tent has enough space for adults to comfortably stand up and walk around in, which is a great feature in case you are hosting a large group of people in your adventures.
The Timber Ridge is advertised to be set up in less than ten minutes, due to its “quick open system” that allows for error-free set up. Unlike most of the other tents in this product round-up, the Timber Ridge does not feature an inflatable set-up. It instead has a pre-attached frame that only requires you to extend each of the poles to set it up.
The poles are made of fiberglass for durability, as they help the tent to withstand high winds. As the tent features a rainfly and polyethylene bathtub style flooring, you will feel protected from the elements.
Also, three large roll-up windows can be easily adjusted to maximize or minimize the amount of privacy and airflow depending on the temperature and situation. These roll-up windows can be zippered closed or open fully or partially, so you can customize how much breeze you want inside the tent.
There is also a huge door that provides even more air circulation and easy access and exit. The top of the tent is entirely made of mesh as well for maximum ventilation.
Other extra features of the Timber Ridge include a lantern hook along the ceiling and a mud mat for cleanliness. There are also built-in storage pockets made of mesh to hold your belongings in place. The tent also boasts an extension cord port for your convenience. Lastly, there is a 1-year warranty backing all Timber Ridge products.
- Instant 60 Second Setup; Sleeps 9 people; Fits two queen air mattresses; Center Height:78
- CORE H20 Block Technology and adjustable ground vent
- Features room divider and wall storage pockets keep items neat and off the tent floor
- Electrical cord access port (port is fully closable when not in use)
- Includes rain fly, tent stakes, and carry bag
The CORE 9 Person Instant Cabin Tent is the largest tent in the product round-up, making it an ideal choice for large families or large groups of friends who enjoy camping together. Featuring a quick set-up, extra roominess and tall center height, privacy panels, and advanced waterproofing technology, the Core 9 Person Instant Cabin Tent is a great option if you want a versatile, long-lasting tent.
The Core 9 Person Instant Cabin Tent is not an inflatable tent but rather features pre-attached poles that simply unfold and extend for an easy set-up within one minute.
Measuring 14×9 feet of interior floor space and with an impressive 72-inch tall center height, the Core 9 Person Instant Cabin Tent truly feels like home. The tent includes a room divider if you’d like to create two separate sleeping areas or designate a living room and sleeping space.
There are also privacy panels on all windows and doors, which can be zippered closed for more peace and quiet if needed. The door itself is double-wide for more convenient access and exit as well.
Protected with Core’s H20 Block fabrics and Active Bead Technology, the Core 9 Person Instant Cabin Tent features water repellent fabrics that keep water from sitting on top of the tent and weighing it down. Also, there are durable, sealed seams and a fully taped rainfly that can either protect you from the rain or be removed for more air circulation in hot weather.
When the rainfly is removed from the tent, you have a panoramic mesh ceiling with fully mesh windows for ultimate air circulation and beautiful views.
The tent also features an air intake vent that can be adjusted to control the amount of cool air that enters the tent. This is a great feature to have in order to stay cool during the day and warmer at night.
Lastly, the Core includes convenient storage pockets for keeping your important equipment close at hand.
- ✅ BUILD IN SECONDS, PLAY FOR HOURS - No Assembly Required. AirFort inflates in less than 30 seconds, sets up and cleans up in no time, no Pillows, no Sheets, no Mess! The AirFort Size is 77" wide x 50" tall.
- ✅ DURABLE AND BREATHABLE CONSTRUCTION - Perfect for Parties, Playdates & Sleepovers! AirFort is big enough to accommodate lots of guests! At 6.5 ft. in diameter and over 4 ft tall, AirFort is roomy so no one gets left out. Invite all your friends!
- ✅ THE PERFECT ALTERNATIVE TO SCREEN TIME - Honest tech-free constructive play that helps bring out your child's ever growing imagination. At AirFort we believe that fun brings the family together.
- ✅ SAFE, WORRY-FREE FORTS FOR KIDS OF ALL AGES - Child Safety Tested and Approved. No floor for an easy entrance and exit, viewing window for kids to see in and out, and mesh fan divider.
- ✅ WORKS WITH ANY STANDARD BOX FAN - Includes: The Original Patented AirFort, Matching Carrying Bag, 4 Adhesive Square Fan Tabs, Easy to Read Instruction / Safety Manual. (BOX FAN NOT INCLUDED)
The Original AirFort Build-a-Fort is the best option for creating a play area for kids. With a quick set-up time, low price point, and plenty of play room, the AirFort is a tent that your kids will truly enjoy. With the AirFort, you won’t have to worry about jumbling together a clumsily constructed blanket fort ever again.
The AirFort can be set up in less than 30 seconds, which is great when your kids are impatient to start playing in their little house. Inside the tent, there is a 6.5-diameter floor space and 50-inch high ceiling, which is the perfect amount of room for your kids to stand up comfortably.
With a no-floor design, the AirFort is meant for usage inside or in your backyard on soft grass. The tent features a viewing window and a space to insert a box fan to keep the tent inflated. The kids are kept separated from the box fan through a mesh divider, so safety is always first.
Purchase of the AirFort also includes a storage bag for your convenience, and because the AirFort is so light, it is easy to travel with to grandma’s or a friend’s house.
Here is a short clip demonstrating how to use the AirFort:
Buying Guide: What to Look For in an Inflatable Tent
When looking at inflatable tents, quality should be at the forefront of your considerations. Look for a tent that is made with high-quality fabrics, such as waterproof nylon or polyester that will hold up over time and withstand the elements. These tents will be much more durable and reliable than tents without waterproofing.
Also, consider the climate that you will be camping in and how cold the night temperatures will become. If you are camping in the warmer months, you’ll want to find a tent with proper air circulation, which generally involves plenty of mesh in the windows, doors, and ceiling. This mesh should ideally be “no-see-um” to keep insects out and prevent ripping.
For protection against rain, look for a bathtub style or oxford floor and, of course, a rainfly. If the rainfly is removable, the tent will be quite versatile, as removal of the rainfly allows for cooler air to enter the tent.
When deciding on which tent to purchase, consider which features are important to you. Extra features, such as a screen room, zippered windows, adjustable air intake valves, electrical cord ports, carrying bags, and storage pockets, can make your camping experience that much more enjoyable and hassle-free.
Tents with screened in porch areas can offer an excellent space for extra shade, perfect for lounging about or having a picnic with your family. The screen will also shield you from pesky insects.
Adjustable air intake valves make it possible for you to customize how much airflow you want in the tent. Also, zippered windows allow for more privacy and keep bugs out and create shade if you become too warm.
Another great feature is storage pockets inside the tent, as these pockets provide a safe space to store your gear where you can access it quickly and keep it organized.
For extra convenience, look for a tent that comes with its own carrying bag. This will ensure easier transportability, especially if the tent itself is lightweight.
What is an Inflatable Tent and How Does it Work?
Inflatable tents do not feature poles but rather are set up using an airflow system.
An inflatable tent will generally be quite fast to set up, as they usually don’t involve the use of poles that must be attached and situated. Inflatable tents will come equipped with some type of air supply and a series of configured tubes or columns of air that inflate quickly. When these columns are filled with air, they become rigid and create the structure of the tent.
First, set up an inflatable tent, stake down the tent’s base (with ground stakes). Then, inflate the tent, set up any guylines and rainfly, and voila.
Here is a demonstration video in which you can see an example of manually inflating a tent with an air pump:
Are Inflatable Tents Strong and Stable?
Although you may not think so at first glance, inflatable tents are rather durable. Because they do not feature poles that can break or snap in high winds, inflatable tents may in some cases stand up better to the elements. Inflatable air beams are much more bendable and resilient than some traditional poled tents.
Also, some inflatable tents feature separated sections of air beams, so that if one section is torn and deflated, the rest of the tent will remain standing strong. This is an excellent feature to keep the tent from collapsing on you.
Additionally, many inflatable tents will come with a patch kit so that you can quickly fix any rips or tears that may occur. Thankfully, it is incredibly easy to repair any holes.
More: Check our detailed review of the best pop-up tent here
If you’re looking for something different than your traditional tent, you may want to check out inflatable tents. These feature a quick, stress-free set-up so that you can get to the campfire and s’ mores faster.
The best option in this product round-up, the Vango Odyssey Air Tent, wins first place thanks to its roominess, tension band system for stability, flysheet and groundsheet for protection against the harsh elements, and extra features, such as a lantern hanging hook and storage pockets. The Vango is your best bet for groups of up to six campers.
An admirable runner-up, the Heimplanet Original Fistral Tent, will stand the test of time with its durability while only weighing 5.5 pounds. The Heimplanet is an excellent choice if you are camping with just two people.
Finally, if you’re looking for that perfect play fort for your kids, look no further than the Original AirFort. Requiring only a box fan to create hours of fun, the AirFort is an effortless, convenient, safe space for your kids to play.
We hope that this review has helped clarify the technology behind inflatable tents and decide which features to look for when purchasing one. That way, you can find the best inflatable tent for you and your family!