Heading into the woods translates to lots of grime, dirt, sweat, and of course, hard work. Portable camping showers are one of the essential items to have in your camping or hiking bag. Having one makes your camping effortless by offering you a pleasurable and familiar experience similar to the one at home.
Portable camping showers can come with a container or those that only offer a showerhead. With the latter, having a bucket with adequate water is necessary to enjoy a nice shower. The best camping showers, feature large water reservoirs which you can heat, hang on a tree and use to produce hot water shower for bathing.
Are you in the market for the best portable camping shower? Want to upgrade from the one you own currently? Here is our comprehensive review of the best portable camping shower and buying guide:
Camp Chef Hwd5 Triton Water Heater – Best Overall
Advanced Elements 5 Gallon Summer Shower / Solar Shower – Best Solar Camping Shower
Sea To Summit Pocket Shower – Best Budget Camping Shower
Simple Shower Portable Camping Shower – Best Cheap Camping Shower
4, 7, and 10 gallons
3 and 4 liters
Reviews of The Best Portable Camping Shower
1. Camp Chef Hwd5 Triton Water Heater – Best Camping Shower
Are you using a truck camping, small RV, or pop up camper? If yes, then it is appropriate to buy an inline moveable hot water shower like this one. We love it mainly because it is propane powered. Although it might be small, its prowess of heating water is unmatched.
You can either mount to your camper for the utmost versatility or just leave it alone as it is self-supporting. The showerhead features four settings. It offers 1.5 gallons/minute of hot water.
We noticed several restrictions with this portable comping shower. For starters, to operate, you need a minimum of 25 pounds in terms of water pressure. What does this mean? It means you will need a contemporary water hookup like a campground water hookup.
To ignite its gas, this shower utilizes batteries. Because the unit requires modern improvements like pressurized water, it only makes sense for using at campgrounds. Nevertheless, there is no doubt that it makes a massive difference between rustic and modern when it comes to bathing while on the road.
We believe it is the best camping shower for a truck camper or popup camper for a campground shower.
- Four shower head settings
- Sturdy construction
- Adjustable water temperature
- Gas flame shuts off intermittently at times
2. Advanced Elements 5 Gallon Summer Shower / Solar Shower – Best Solar Camping Shower
- Construction - 4-ply construction with reflector panel and insulator panel for optimized heat retention and performance
- Capacity - This summer shower has a large 5-gallon capacity and is designed to heat water fast in the warm sun
- Temperature guage- Easy-to-read temperature gauge to know when your shower is warm. The shower can heat up to 110 degrees in under 3 hours in direct sunlight
- Convenience- Integrated toiletry pouch can hold a razor, mirror or travel shampoo bottles and Velcro straps for wash cloth
We love this portable outdoor shower because of the various tech features it offers. It is no longer the bag full of water that you used to know. In our opinion, it sets the bar higher when it comes to camping showers.
Its bag has a bar at the top to evenly distribute weight and help the bag hang level. The bag is made in such a way that it warms water from solar energy by leaving it under the sun. This camping shower has insulation panels, and material reflective panels not only help water to get but also remain hot.
While you cannot expect a fully hot shower from this solar-powered camping shower, you can trust it to warm up the chilly mountain streams. The side pocket is handy for storing shampoo and soap making it easy to grab as you take your shower.
If you want just a simple and portable solution for your mountain showers, this is an ideal camping shower for your needs.
- Portable when compacted
- Extra side pocket for shampoo, toothbrush, and soap
- Does not need propane, gasoline or batteries to power
- Heats slowly especially in cold environments
3. Sea To Summit Pocket Shower – Best Budget Shower
- 10-liter pocket shower provides a 7-minute shower; ideal for backpacking, camping, bike touring, and travel
- Made from lightweight 70D nylon with fully taped seams; black fabric soaks up the sun to heat water for a warm shower
- Roll-top closure has two ‘D’ rings attached to 20 feet of nylon cord for hanging the shower almost anywhere
- Simple and easy-to-use twist mechanism for turning on/off and for flow adjustment; graduated apertures for equal spray dispersion
- Outdoor shower can also be used as a regular dry sack to transport clothes or sleeping bag; includes carrying pouch; weighs 4.3 ounces
Unlike your pockets are pretty much big, the chances are high that it is almost impossible to slip this portable camping shower into your pants or jacket. Nevertheless, once you roll it, this 70D nylon sacks excellent fits inside a 3 by 6-inch pouch. All you need to do is add around 4.3 ounces to your hiking pack weight.
Alternatively, you can use it as a dry sack to stow particular items that need waterproof carry. When you unroll it, it is possible to add liters of water for roughly 8 minutes of shower time with the help of solar-heated water.
- Super compact
- Contoured shower head
- Easy and simple to twist mechanism
- Fragile seams
4. Simple Shower Portable Camping Shower – Best Cheap Camping Shower
- Turns most one or two liter bottles (including Platypus collapsible bottles and bladders) into a portable shower for taking showers anywhere running water is not available
- Easy to use – simply hold it above the area to be washed and turn upside down for a steady stream. Feels like being under a real shower
- Great for washing infants!
- Weighs only 2 ounces. Makes a great camp shower
- Made in USA from recycled material
While it might not look like much, and for its price, perhaps you do not expect something as amazing and effective as this. However, even for under 20 bucks, you will be amazed to learn that this portable shower has everything you need to enjoy a hot shower while hiking or camping. Do you know that it possesses the title of Amazon’s Choice in Amazon?
Basically, it can transform 1 – 2 liters of bottles of water into portable showers. Obviously, you need to warm your water using something else such as the sun. If you have had enough of it, for the portability and price of it, we honestly think that despite its affordable nature, this tops many other high-priced showers available in the market today.
It weighs only 2 oz. meaning it will hardly take much of weight your backpack or luggage.
- Multiple uses
- Easy to use
- A steady stream of water
- Super light
- Brittle cap
5. Nemo Helio Pressure Shower – Premium Choice
- LONG-LASTING HEAT - The high capacity, insulated 11-liter soft Helio tank heats water using sunlight; Heated water stays piping hot for hours so you can clean up on your schedule
- SUPERIOR PRESSURE & CONTROL - Designed for ultimate user control, the hands-free foot pump provides simple flow regulation and strong water pressure just like your showerhead at home; Fully pressurized, the Helio provides a steady flow for 5-7 minutes
- SHOWER ANYWHERE, ANYTIME - Ideal for camping, backpacking, rafting trips, music festivals, and adventure travel, all shower components stow in a durable, trail-ready carrying case that's effortless to pack in and out
- VERSATILE DESIGN - Engineered with more in mind than just washing off backcountry grime, the Helio is a multi-use cleaning tool with enough water pressure and capacity to wash dishes, bath pets, rinse off gear, or water plants
- LIGHTWEIGHT SYSTEM - The complete Helio system, including 11 liter tank, 7-foot hose with spray nozzle, foot pump, and compact carrying case, pack down to 8.5 x 5.5 inches with a combined weight of 1 lb 6 oz
The Nemo Helio Pressure portable comping shower utilizes extremely efficient and heat-locking insulation to store warm water. Its high-powered solar panel can quickly heat up your water every time the sun is hot, and you can store it till you are ready to shower. Enjoy ultimate control of the water pressure with this portable shower.
The creators put much thought into the shower’s design. By adding a foot pump, they made it hands-free, thus making it ideal if you desire to wash your hair. Provided you use your foot to keep pumping, the pressure remains strong with a flow that lasts up to 7 minutes.
Its size makes it easy to pack for your upcoming trip. It can fit in a kayak or backpack. The whole system is light enough for you to carry even for long distances regardless of the generous capacity.
Along with the 11-liter tank, this portable shower features a carrying case, spray nozzle, foot pump, and 7-foot hose. The shower’s spray nozzle enables you to efficiently direct water flow in the direction you select for your convenience. Use it to wash yourself, pets or kids.
- Long-lasting heat
- Versatile design
- Superior control and pressure
- Lightweight system
- Lower pressure
6. Ivation Portable Outdoor Shower – Best Battery Powered Camping Shower
- INDOOR/OUTDOOR HANDHELD SHOWER - Transforms Sink or Bucket of Water Into Instant Shower Stream; Water-Resistant Unit Includes One Touch On/Off Switch
- PERFECTLY PLEASING PRESSURE - Showerhead Features One Simple Flow Rate for Comfortable Bathing Experience; Gentle Enough for Seniors, Babies and Pets
- SUCTION CUP SUPPORT - Shower-Head Securely Sticks to Any Flat Surface with Provided Suction Cup; Bonus S-Style Hook Lets You Hang it Safely Overhead
- BATTERY POWERED CONVENIENCE - Rechargeable Pump Plugs into Laptop, Car Adapter or Computer via USB; Full Charge Allows Up to 1 Hour of Continuous Use, PLEASE NOTE: May include a wall plug instead of USB
- COMPACT AND PORTABLE - Small, Discreet System Packs Easily in Luggage, Backpack or Car Trunk; for Hiking, Camping, Kid Bathing and Pet Cleaning
Probably you are wondering how such a battery-powered hose system and the showerhead is so effective? Well, on the flip side, you need a bucket that is full of water to convert it into a shower. Once you have the full water bucket, you can utilize a handheld nozzle, and firmly secure it on a flat surface through suction cup. Alternatively, you can hang it with an S-hook that comes included.
Of great importance to note is that this battery-powered gets water into the head without needing gravity. The best part? It is possible to recharge it with your car adapter of laptop for close to an hour to enjoy continuous use.
- Offers steady and consistent water flow
- Reasonable pricing
- Lightweight hence portable
- Recharges using a USB meaning you can charge it from a computer device or a car
- Lacks a water heater
- RinseKit delivers a pressurized spray for up to three minutes
- Can be quickly filled with hot or cold water
- Pressure system that holds up to 2 gallons of water with a spray nozzle that offers seven different settings from jet stream to soaking shower
- 2 gallon pressure chamber, built-in ruler to measure fish
- Folding handle for one-handed carrying, and easy-to-remove lid to stand on for changing, the RinseKit comes with a Hose Nozzle, 6′ Hose, Hose Bib Adapter, On/Off Valve, and Quick Connect
Enjoy hot showers while in the woods courtesy of this impressive camping shower kit. It brings with it a 2-gallon reservoir, a pressure boost pump, a hot rod water heater and a six ft. hose for the utmost convenience. Always wanted to shower with the pressure of garden hose coupled with up to 6 minutes of hot water? Then you can trust this shower.
Its reservoir is effortless to refill. You can do so from any sink or spigot. You can use both the pump and heat simultaneously. It can plug into a standard, 12-volt carport for charging.
- No pumping needed
- In-built ruler
- Folding handle
- Weak hose attachment
8. Road Shower 4 – Best Camping Shower For Long Trip
- Can be filled and pressurized with a garden hose
- Out camping, you can fill it with a water jug and pressurize with a cheap 12 volt tire pump
- T-slots on the bottom and side allow you to mount to cross bars or to a vertical surface
This is among the most trusted camping showers for a long trip. It brings with it an array of features that make camping in the woods refreshing and comfortable. Enjoy the convenience of pressurized water right in the middle of nowhere. The shower comes with a dependable attachment that you can attach to your trailer or vehicle, thus allowing you roam freely anywhere.
Its patented design features a strong build with durable powder coat finish and welded aluminum construction. The large top-cap allows for effortless filling.
While you are out having the time of your life, the sun does its thing and heats the water in the tank. A thermometer is available to let you know of the water temperature.
- Big tap cap
- Brass water connection fitting
- Variety of capacities
- Strong construction
- Somewhat bulky
The Iron Hammer portable camping shower brings with it an in-built 4800 mAh rechargeable battery making it a flawless handheld shower for anyone into camping and hiking. It proffers a desirable washing pressure because of its selection intelligence that enables you to choose between two water pressure options.
The shower’s lower pressure is excellent for showering, while the higher option is perfect for washing your car or pet. We love the great and unique design of this shower. Its subtle design is distinct. The materials used to make it have been selected carefully in such a way that they allow it to be lightweight but compact.
Internal layers are laid out perfectly and scientifically to allow the in-built water filer to function optimally and efficiently.
- Discharges water at various pressures that make it useful and versatile for different purposes
- Stable and large enough battery for uninterrupted showers at desired duration
- Ideal for a variety of water temps making it suitable for winter and summer shower
- Stable and unique design that incorporates in-built water filter
- Inappropriate location of the off/on switch
- Heat absorbing design：This solar shower bag is made by environmental friendly and leak proof materials which are safe to human health. It heats water to 113°F (45°C) in 3 hours with direct sunlight.
- High Water Capacity:This camping shower bag can carry up to 5 gallons water for showering outdoor,let you enjoy a better and refreshing shower anywhere.
- Supplied With Useful Accessories :It supplied with a hose, a shower head and a water tap. Upgraded shower head offers an easy on/off switch with low to high water flow, easy to whirl.
- Wildly Use: this camp shower is suit for outdoor camping, hiking, backpacking, self-driving, fishing or hunting.It's the best gift for for Men Husband and Father's Day.The perfect camping accessory for him.
Kipida brings us this impressive portable camping shower with heat-absorbing design. With direct sunlight, it can heat water in three hours to 45 degrees C. The bag boasts the ability to hold up to 5 water gallons for an uninterrupted outdoor showering experience. With such a big capacity, you can enjoy a refreshing bathing experience anywhere at any time.
Some of the important accessories that this kit comes with include a water tap, shower head, and hose. The upgraded shower head provides an effortless off/on switch with a low-high flow of water.
There is a temperature indicator that is attached to the bag to display water temperature. Whether you are out for hunting, fishing, self-driving, backpacking, hiking, or camping, this is one of the best camping showers to carry with you.
- Temperature indicator
- High water capacity
- Heat absorbing design
- No attachment to the water horse
Types of camping shower
Even though you do not need a portable shower for you to have a great time in the outdoors, it is prudent to invest one if you want to have a hygienic and comfortable time while in the countryside. When it comes to camping showers, three main types exist. There are:
Do you want a portable camping shower that will not fail you regardless of the season or environment you are camping? While they might be expensive compared to the other two, propane-powered ones are the real deal. They use coils and burners that warm water meaning you can get warm water within minutes.
The uses for BTUs or propane stoves determines the speed at which your propane shower will produce heat. What does this mean? It simply means that the higher the shower’s BTU, the quicker it warms the water.
When it comes to battery-powered portable camping showers, they a set of 4 D cell batteries. Other models utilize different types of batteries altogether. In the simplest terms, battery-powered showers have a pump and hose with a showerhead that draws water from a reservoir or container.
Their main downside is the fact that even though they might be portable, replacing batteries regularly is necessary lest you will have to use a generator.
Solar powered camping showers are perhaps the cheapest to run, which makes them highly popular. The only thing you necessary to warm water for your shower is the sun to be out. In most cases, these showers have a black bag that is made from PVC. They also feature a hose that is connected to the bag.
The costlier ones generally feature PVC-free materials. They come in different sizes in terms of capacity and are available in smaller units that are capable of holding 2.5 gallons. Larger ones that can hold 5 gallons and more are also available.
The major drawback of solar-powered camping showers is the fact that they need sunlight to operate. If you are camping in an environment without the sun coming out for the better of the day, then these showers are not a good option.
More: Best Compact Umbrella
Features to consider
With countless portable camping showers to select from in the market today, choosing the best one can turn out to be such a tall order. It does not matter whether you are a newbie or seasoned outdoor gear shopper. We make the shopping process effortless by highlighting the most important factors to consider when in the market for the best portable camping shower in this section:
Cold vs. Hot Water Systems
Obviously, not many people will go camping in the winter. Nonetheless, this solely depends on factors such as the season and environment you plan into camping. Cold water systems are perfect for hot and warm camping environments. Hot water systems, on the other hand, are perfect for colder climates.
More: Best Bivy Sacks
When your reservoir runs out, you can always refill it, right? But what if we tell you that you can avoid all the hassle by choosing a portable camping shower that meets your capacity needs. Some of the things you should consider in terms of capacity are the number of users that will be using the shower. Secondly, you need to put in mind exactly what you need the kit for.
For instance, if you intend to purchase the kit only for yourself, then buying a smaller capacity one makes sense. On the other hand, if you are camping with a group of people, then it is wise that you invest in a kit with a bigger capacity so that everybody can utilize it with minimal refilling.
The other important thing you need to know is that capacity can also depend on your needs. For example, for the completely bald campers, they might need less water since there is no much hair that needs to be cleaned. For those with hair down their waist, it is prudent to buy a shower that has a larger capacity to avoid getting stuck with shampoo in your hair and no water. Because you are in the wilderness, the chances are high that you will require a huge amount of water.
The good thing is that most, if not all of the showers on this primer boast the ability to give you adequate water for a shower that lasts five minutes. If your concern is wasting too much, it is wise that you settle for a smaller capacity portable camping shower.
More: The Best Folding Chairs
Compactness and Weight
Just like their name suggests, portable camping showers are most meant to be utilized in the outdoors. This means that you will carry them with you whenever you are on the move. Depending on your method of transportation, you should consider a kit that is lightweight and compact. These two features will ultimately determine how portable yours will be.
Submerge vs. Water Reservoir Water Pumps
Systems with water reservoirs boast the sole benefit of providing you the opportunity to have control over water. Nevertheless, you shall need adequate time not only to fill but also carry the water to your respective camping site. When it comes to the submergible water pumps, the only you need is a bucket to put it in as you get to enjoy your bath. Do you know you can even bath from a lake or stream directly?
Your shower’s structure mainly determines if you will get value for your hard-earned money. When making a purchase, it is prudent to spend more money and get a quality product than try and save some cash only to end up with a poor quality portable camping shower. Of course, finding a kit that features a solid construction means you have to dig deeper into your pocket.
A better-constructed shower costs more as it is made of top-notch or premium materials. Just like with any other purchase, you always get what you pay when shopping for a transportable camping shower. In addition to lasting longer, you need your shower to be made of only high quality materials.
A long-lasting shower will cost you less when it comes to replacement parts and general maintenance. Secondly, well-constructed showers are better performers compared to poorly constructed ones. If you buy an incredibly built shower, you will not only be comfortable but also happier using it during your hiking or camping trip.
More: Best Summer Sleeping Bag
The last thing you want is to buy a portable camping shower that will only serve you for just a single trip. As you shop for your ideal shower, you need to consider the material and workmanship that goes into making of the product. These two factors go miles in determining the lifespan of your shower. Even with continuous use, a quality camping shower, just like you will learn later on this primer, should last you a lifetime.
Pump, Battery, or Solar Systems?
All these come with demerits and merits. For instance, solar-powered showers tend to be cheaper to run but might work in areas without or with little sunshine. Battery-powered showers, on the other hand, work pretty well anywhere. However, you will require a source of power to recharge. Of course, batteries should also be available. Foot-pump-operated systems do not require any servicing except some muscle and a little time as you pump.
Length of Hose
Hose length is another important factor worth considering when you are shopping for the best portable camping shower. It might not be a top priority when you buy a kit with a reservoir that you have to suspend or hang as you use. Nonetheless, when it comes to the other types of kits, it is necessary to have a hose that is not less than 7 feet long for it to go past your height comfortably.
More: Best Camping Stove
Q: How should I maintain a camping shower?
A: Just like with any equipment, maintaining your portable shower is mandatory if you are to get the most of it. Secondly, proper maintenance ensures it serves you for years and years to come. Treating your portable shower as it ought to ensure it not only works efficiently but also does not break down.
When it breaks down, you might need a professional to repair it, which can turn out to be very costly. So how do you go about it?
We highly recommend that you carefully follow the maintenance instructions contained in your shower’s manual. The instruction manual has all the essential details you need to know regarding using your portable shower. Using it as highlighted in the manual helps you to reduce the risk of making it faulty because of misuse.
Additionally, using it as instructed ensures it continues to work long past the expected duration. If you happen to be ever in doubt, you can find detailed solutions in the form of videos online that will guide you on not only how to use but also maintain your portable shower.
One of the most important things you need to maintain your portable shower properly is ensuring it is clean all the time. Although the shower’s main job is to keep you clean, you also need to do your part on cleaning it. You need to clean it both on the inside and outside.
Check for any particles or debris that can prevent water from coming out. Once you have used it, rinse the contained out and give it time to dry outside. After getting home from your camping trip, rinse the entire system with plenty of clean water. Ensure it dries effectively before putting it into storage. The same should apply for water hoses and containers.
Q: Do solar-heated showers really work?
A: Just like many other products such as solar-powered lights and solar pool heaters, solar-heated showers really work. The fact that so many of them are retailing in the market and continue to enjoy countless positive reviews is an indication that indeed, they really work. They work by heating water insider through the power of the sun.
Q: Is there enough sunlight for a solar shower?
A: In most instances, on any given day, there will be sunlight. Obviously, some days tend to have more sunlight compared to others. Some seasons the sun is more powerful than others. To answer this question, we can say that there will be enough sunlight for a solar power.
Q: What’s the best heating type?
A: The best type of heating will depend mainly on the kind of camping you do. For instance, if you intend to head out camping in a desert or sunny environment, then a solar-powered shower would be the ideal investment.
Q: How long should my portable camping shower last?
A: Provided you properly maintain your portable camping shower; it should serve you a couple of years. All you need to do is follow everything we have highlighted above regarding maintenance. If you perform frequent maintenance and always replace parts when necessary, then there is absolutely no reason why yours should not last for many years.
The more sophisticated your shower is, the more demanding it will be in terms of service and maintenance. Fortunately, even with the most complicated ones, you can enjoy many years using it when out for hiking or camping. One thing you should avoid doing is overfilling it.
Having too much water can be detrimental to your product. When not using it, do not leave water inside the shower. This is especially true when having it in storage. Refrain from using your shower or parts for any other thing other than showering. Doing so runs the risk of damaging it.
Finally, yet importantly, ensure your shower is clean round the clock for it to work optimally.
From our extensive research and in-depth analysis, we can authoritatively state that the best portable camping shower is the Camp Chef Hwd5 Triton Water Heater. We arrived at this conclusion because of many reasons. For starters, it is propane powered meaning you can enjoy uninterrupted hot shower whether it is raining or sunny. Secondly, it is lightweight. It comes at a reasonable price.