Looking for an 8 Person tent? Look no further, we’ve rounded up the best 8 person tents for all budgets.
If you want the absolute best 8 person tent, check out our premium pick, the Marmot Lair 8P.
However, if you don’t necessarily need premium features, the Coleman 8 Person Instant Tent is our overall pick.
If you don’t want to dish out the big bucks, we don’t blame you. The Coleman Evanston is the best 8 person tent under $200.
Keep reading to find the best 8 person tent for your needs.
|Best Overall||Coleman 8 Person Instant Tent||
|premium pick||Marmot Lair 8P||
|Wenzel Kodiak 9 Person Tent||
|Budget Pick||Ozark Trail 9 Person Instant Cabin Tent||
|Outdoor Products 8 Person Instant Cabin Tent||
|NTK Arizona GT 8 Person Tent||
|Coleman Elite Montana 8 Person Tent||
|Best Under $200||Coleman Evanston 8 Person Tent||
|Coleman Red Canyon 8 Person Tent||
|Outbound 8 Person Dome Tent||
Review of the Best 8 Person Tent
Coleman 8 Person Instant Tent – Best Overall
- Spacious 14 feet x 10 feet tent fits 4 queen size airbeds , Polyguard 2X double thick fabric stands up to the rigors of the outdoors
- WeatherTec features include a tub floor with welded corners, protected seams, and covered zippers to keep water out; integrated rainfly provides extra weather protection
- Instant setup in about 60 seconds thanks to pre attached poles
- Storage pockets keep small gear organized and off floor
- Rugged double thick fabric stands up to outdoor rigors season after season
The best overall 8 person tent in this roundup is the Coleman 8 Person Instant Tent. This tent measures 14 feet x 10 feet with a center height of 6 feet and 7 inches. That means you can fit two queen-sized air mattresses with extra room to store gear and move around.
One of the best features of this tent is the instant set up. This tent can easily be set up by two people in less than 60 seconds. There are only three simple steps required in the setup process: unfold the tent, lengthen the poles, and secure the poles.
The Coleman 8 Person Instant Tent holds up well in stormy weather conditions. The thick fabric of the tent is treated to repel water. In addition, this tent has a bathtub style floor with welded corners and sealed seams. However, it is important to note that this tent does not come with a rainfly included. Additionally, the provided guy-out lines should be used for optimal performance in windy conditions.
Large doors and windows allow air to flow throughout the tent. This feature makes this tent comfortable for sleep and leisure.
Marmot Lair 8P – Premium Pick
- DAC Poles
- Poled Vestibule
- Removable Floor
- Removable Fly
- Multiple Fly Vents for Moisture Dissipation
Our premium pick for the best 8 person tent is the Marmot Lair 8P. This is a 4-season tent, meaning it is designed to withstand even the most frigid weather conditions.
This tent excels as a basecamp tent. It has a spacious interior that is completely waterproof. The rainfly is 100% seam taped and coated with a waterproof silicone coating to ensure extra protection. Additionally, several vents allow excess heat and condensation to escape. This allows the interior of the tent to stay comfortable and dry.
The floor of this tent is removable. This unique feature comes in handy when you need to dig snow out from under the tent. Additionally, you may want to remove the floor when cooking or camping on rocky terrain.
The Marmot Lair is an exceptional tent through and through. However, it really only pays off on advanced backcountry excursions. The high price point and unique features lead us to recommend it to advanced campers who truly need a 4-season tent.
- Large, 2-room family cabin tent comes with steel stakes, (2) gear lofts, (2) hanging pockets, mud mat, and storage duffel
- Straight sidewalls maximizes interior space; full coverage fly and welded polyethylene floor for weather protection
- Mesh Dutch "D" style door, (2) bay windows, (2) picture windows, and screened roof for visibility and cross breeze
- Ultra-sturdy steel frame with hub connections and pin and ring system for easy set-up
- Sleep capacity: 9; footprint: 14 x 14 feet; center ceiling height: 7.17 feet,Eave height: 5.42 feet, 65 inches
Wenzel is a family company that specializes in family camping. Their tents are designed to accommodate all members of the family in terms of comfort, livability, and reliability. They pride themselves on making budget-friendly products so that you can make memories in the outdoors. This is why the Wenzel Kodiak 9 Person Tent is our budget option.
This tent gives you a lot of bang for your buck. The spacious interior measures 14 feet x 14 feet with a center height of 7 feet and 2 inches. Vertical sidewalls allow you to make use of every inch of this large floor space.
The Wenzel Kodiak also offers a lot of ventilation. Without the rainfly attached, the entire roof is a mesh material to allow for a cross breeze to flow in good weather conditions. There are two large picture windows and two bay windows. Additionally, there are two vents on opposite walls of the tent as well as two ground vents to reduce stagnant air and condensation.
- Large windows with mesh screens, No assembly required, poles pre-attached to tent
The Ozark Trail 9 Person Instant Cabin Tent with Bonus Screen Room is the runner up for the best overall 8 person tent.
This tent has pre-attached poles that allow for an instant set up in less than two minutes. Included with this tent is a removable room divider to create two separate living spaces. Another feature that comes in handy is the mesh gear organizer that hangs on the wall for you to keep small items off the floor.
Of course, the screen room is a stand-out feature of this tent. The roof of the screen room can be completely covered by the included rainfly. This creates an extra sleeping space on warm nights. Alternatively, the screen room can be used for leisure or as a secure play area for babies and toddlers.
The windows on this tent are smaller than most cabin tents of this size. However, ground vents aid in keeping the tent cool and dry.
- Sleeps 8 Campers / 13 ft x 9 ft x 74 in high
- Instant Pole Design: Pre-attached poles make setup quick and easy
- Extended Eave Technology: Automatic extended eaves provide air circulation and increased breathability making your outdoor adventure more comfortable
- Ground Vents: Dual ground vents create cross ventilation throughout the tent
- No-See-Um-Mesh will keep you dry and bite free from bugs
The Outdoor Products 8 Person Instant Cabin Tent has the best ventilation out of all the tents on this review. It has an innovative, extended eave design, ground vents, and large doors and windows that all attribute to increased airflow.
The biggest key feature of the Outdoor Products 8 Person Instant Cabin Tent is its extended eave technology. Short poles protrude from each of the structural poles surrounding the tent. When the rainfly attaches, the short poles hold the rainfly out away from the tent body. This provides added protection from rainfall and helps outside airflow into the tent.
This tent measures 13 feet x 9 feet with a center height of 6 feet and 2 inches. The instant cabin set up is complete in two minutes or less. And, the tent has many weatherproof features such as taped seams, a bathtub style floor, and a weather block coating.
- RATED #6 FOR THE BEST FAMILY TENT IN THE USA. SPACIOUS 7 to 8 Person (adults/kids), 2 Doors, 2 Windows Tent Designed for Easy Assembly with color coded poles. Super 6.2 FT height for maximum comfort.
- WATERPROOF FULL COVERAGE RAIN FLY: Double layer 190T polyester laminated with polyurethane 2500 mm water column, partially aluminium coated, heat-welded PU seam sealed and UV protection, Large covered mesh funil vents provide even more ventilation. Inner tent: Large D-style doors with mosquito mesh for great views and ventilation. Roomy utility pockets.Zipped E-port for easy wiring.
- FRAME: 100% virgin NANO-FLEX shock corded fiber glass rods with improved diameter and double gold plated ferrules. Aluminium Pin-and-ring system for easy and quick setup.
- MOSQUITO MESH: Inner tent fully breathable with generous Ultra-thin polyester no-see style mesh keeps you safe from smallest insects and mosquitoes while offering some privacy from side view (when not using the rain fly).
- FLOOR MATERIAL AND DESIGN: Heavy duty anti-fungus seamless polyethylene with inner silver coated layer keeps you dry and protected enhanced by the unique element barrier bathtub-style construction (you won't wake up in a puddle!). Security: Meets CPAI-84 flammability requirements. Heavy duty carry bag with compression straps and ID label to personalize your tent.
NTK is a lesser-known brand, however, don’t let that stop you from looking into their products. This company takes pride in the reliability of its products, and its customer satisfaction rate supports that claim.
The NTK Arizona GT 8 Person Tent is a solid option for families or larger camping groups. This tent provides a good mix of weather protection and ventilation. We have named this tent as the most weather resistant of the lot.
The tent body has large mesh panels on the upper walls of the tent. There are two windows, one on each of the two tent doors. In warm weather conditions, when the rainfly is off, these mesh panels and windows allow a ton of air to flow through the tent.
The rainfly to this tent is a full-coverage rainfly. When attached, the rainfly encompasses the entire tent and acts as an outer shell. This provides extra protection from the elements. Not to mention, the rainfly is made of resistant materials that make it truly waterproof. As an added measure, there is also a 2500mm water channel that acts as a rain gutter to prevent leakage.
- 16 ft. x 7 ft., fits eight people or three queen airbeds, 6 ft. 2 in. height, room to stand and move
- Sets up in 15 minutes or less
- LED tent light with 3 settings high, low, nightlight
- Hinged door for easy entry and exit
- 4 Pole modified dome design with color-coded pole sleeves and poles
The Coleman Elite Montana 8 Person Tent measures 16 feet x 7 feet. This layout is shallower and more stretched out than the majority of the tents we’ve looked at in this post. There may be some challenges to this. However, it allows for three queen size air mattresses to fit inside the tent. Many will consider that a worthy trade-off.
The Coleman Elite Montana has the best extra features out of all the tents in this post.
This tent has one, D-shaped door. The door is a key feature of this tent because it is structured and swings on a hinge. Velcro fasteners latch the door to the tent when it swings shut so you don’t have to zip it closed after each use. Not to mention, you won’t have to yell at your friends or family to shut the door after every entry.
Another bonus feature of this tent is the built-in lighting system. Six LED lights can be powered by four D batteries or a rechargeable power cartridge that comes included with the tent. Although it may not classify this tent as a glamping tent, it is a nice touch that can make a big difference. You can say goodbye to the need for a flashlight at every corner of the tent. Check our review of Coleman Tents here
Best Cheap / Under $200 8 Person Tents
Coleman Evanston 8 Person Tent – Best 8 Person Tent Under $200
- Weatherproof: Welded corners and inverted seams keep water from getting in; Included rainfly offers extra weather protection
- Conventional pitch: Sets up in 15 minutes
- Bug-free lounging: 10 x 5 feet full-floor screen room
- Roomy interior: 10 x 9 feet with 5 feet 8 inch center height; Fits 2 queen-size air beds
- Carry bag: Included for easy storage
The Coleman Evanston 8 Person Tent is a great budget option. It is the best 8 person tent under $200.
The design of the Coleman Evanston is a classic single dome style tent with a screened-in porch extending off of the front entrance. The floor measurements of the primary tent body are 10 feet x 9 feet. The connected screen room adds an extra 5 feet of width to that. In the right conditions, the extra floor area in the screen room can be used for sleeping.
This tent does not set up instantly like some of the other cabin style tents in this review. However, the standard cross pole pitch, snag-free pole sleeves, and easy-to-clip pole attachments make the Evanston simple to set up in less than 15 minutes.
The rainfly provides a good amount of coverage over the tent body. One unique feature of this fly is the extended awnings over the windows. These awnings allow you to keep the windows open while it rains to help improve airflow without water leakage.
- Camping tent with spacious design offers enough room for 8 people to sleep comfortably
- Included dividers let you create 3 separate rooms for privacy
- WeatherTec system with patented welded floors and inverted seams keeps you dry
- Measures 17 x 10 feet with 6-foot center height
- Easy to set up and pack away with separate bags included for tent, poles, and stakes
The Coleman Red Canyon 8 Person Tent is the best classic 8 person tent. If you’re looking for a traditional tent without all the fancy gadgets and tricky pieces, this is the tent for you.
The Red Canyon has two wings extending off of a standard dome. The conventional pitch set up can be completed in 10-20 minutes. The rainfly is easy to attach and provides good coverage and accessibility to doors and windows.
The interior measures 17 feet x 10 feet with a center height of 6 feet. This tent includes room dividers that allow you to create three separate rooms. This feature comes in handy when you need separate areas for sleep, privacy, or storage.
Coleman implemented their WeatherTec system in the design of this tent. This features welded floors with inverted seams to keep out the rain. The frame of this tent has been redesigned and engineered to stand strong amidst high winds.
- FIBERGLASS “EASY UP” TECHNOLOGY: Our Outbound tent features a strong durable fiberglass frame system that allows for quick super-fast setups
- ROOMY 8-PERSON TENT: This backpacking tent is spacious featuring a D-Shaped door with two built in zip windows complete with a mesh wall for excellent ventilation. Includes 2 interior storage pockets for personal items
- WEATHER RESISTANT: Heavy duty 600 mm coated rain fly with front canopy provides water and weather protection. Both the welded leak proof seams and polyester bathtub floor are built-in to keep water out of your tent
- DURABLE, LIGHTWEIGHT: Made from durable fiber glass that is ultra lightweight. Weighing only 17 lbs and comes with a zippered duffle bag for extremely easy carrying and storing
- DIMENSIONS: 14 feet x 8 feet x 5’10” feet and includes attached rainfly, tent stakes, guy lines and all assembly instructions
The Outbound 8 Person Dome Tent is the lightest weight tent in this review. It weighs only 17 lbs. The tent was designed for family camping, but at this weight, it could easily be divided between campers and packed in.
This tent features easy-up technology, so setting it up takes about half the time as it does to set up a conventional pitch. The dimensions of the tent are 14 feet x 8 feet with a peak height of 5 feet and 10 inches.
The Outbound 8 Person Dome Tent comes with durable and lightweight fiberglass poles. The top half of the tent body is almost entirely made of mesh to aid in airflow. And, the included rainfly is treated with a water-resistant coating to keep the interior dry.
Are All 8 Person Tents the Same Size?
Not all 8 person tents are the same size. Most 8 Person tents are somewhere between 10-15 feet long and 8-14 feet wide.
Now, most people wouldn’t recommend trying to fit 8 people into an 8 person tent. Seems silly, I know, but 8 is the absolute maximum number of bodies that can lay squished into a tent. This doesn’t allow for extra space for gear either. Instead, we recommend an 8 person tent for groups of 4-6.
If you are purchasing an 8 man tent for family camping trips, then the bigger the better. Extra space can only be a good thing. The largest instant cabin tent in this post is the Wenzel Kodiak. It measures 14 feet x 14 feet. However, if you prefer a standard pitch, check out the Coleman Evanston, which measures 15 feet x 12 feet.
If you need to be conservative with your tent size, there are smaller 8 person tents to choose from. The Outdoor Products Instant Cabin Tent measures 13 feet x 9 feet. Or, the Outbound 8 Person Dome Tent measures 14 feet x 8 feet.
How To Know If a Tent Has Durable Materials
Every tent will give a description of their fabric and its denier count. It may say something like “Polyester Taffeta 68D.” The higher the denier count (D), the more durable the material.
Additionally, the two most common tent fabrics are variations of polyester and nylon. In general, nylon is stronger than polyester. However, many polyester materials, especially ones with a high denier count, are very durable.
Other durability features to keep in mind are weather-resistant features. Seam tape, welded corners, and bathtub style floors all add to the durability of a tent.
Lastly, if a footprint does not come included with your tent, we absolutely recommend you purchase one. Footprints are tarps that sit underneath the tent to protect the tent floor from ripping or taking in moisture.
The most durable tent in our 8 person tent review is our premium pick, the Marmot Lair 8. This tent is a backcountry, 4-season tent. It is made of high-quality nylon with an additional weather-resistant coating.
Should You Pay Attention to Temperature Ratings?
If you’re planning to camp in freezing temperatures, then the answer is yes.
Almost all of these tents are 3-season tents. This means they are built to withstand temperatures and conditions of the summer, spring, and fall seasons. A snow flurry here or there is usually okay for 3-season tents as well.
If you might be concerned about the temperature rating, you may want to consider a 4-season tent. The Marmot Lair 8P is an exceptional tent suitable for below-freezing temperatures.
How Much Does an 8 Person Tent Cost?
Generally speaking, an 8 person family camping tent costs around $300. At this price point you can find a new, instant cabin style tent. More often than not, these tents will have room dividers, a spacious floor area, and even a few bonus features.
The Coleman 8 Person Instant Tent, the Ozark Trail 9 Person Instant Cabin Tent, and the Outdoor Products Instant Cabin Tent are available at this price point.
There are also many 8 person tents available at the $200 price point. These tents usually have a conventional pitch, some have room dividers, but few have extra bonus features. If you’re looking for a standard tent without anything extra fancy, you can find it at this price point.
The Coleman Evanston, The Coleman Red Canyon, and the Outbound 8 Person Dome Tent are a few examples of good 8 person tents for $200 or less.
One thing to note is that backcountry or premium quality tents cost much more than family camping tents because they are made with more durable materials. Often these tents are suitable for all four seasons, instead of the standard 3-season family camping tents.
The Most Important Features of an 8 Person Tent
The most important features of an 8 person tent are space, durability, and weather resistance.
First and foremost, when buying a tent you need to be sure you have enough space for your camping group and all of your belongings.
Secondly, tents can be quite a financial investment, so you want to be sure the materials will withstand the test of time.
And lastly, weather resistance is key to a comfortable and successful camping trip. Nobody wants to wake up to water seeping in through the tent floor or raindrops dripping through the fly.
The Best Bonus Features of an 8 Person Tent
The importance of these features really depends on your camping location and conditions. However, there are a couple of features that make any camping trip easier.
Pre-attached poles make a tent easy to set up in less than 2 minutes. That is not an exaggeration. Many campers view the time saved from attaching and threading poles as well worth the extra cost. Instant setups can be found on tents labeled “Instant cabin” or “Instant tent.”
Another bonus feature that never goes unappreciated is ground ventilation. Ground vents allow excess hot air and condensation to escape the interior of the tent. This leads to a clean, crisp, and cool tent interior. A tent with ground vents rarely has that musty tent smell inside.
So, What is the Best 8 Person Tent?
Of all the tents in this review, the Coleman 8 Person Instant Tent stands out as the best overall. This tent is reasonably priced for all that it has to offer. Its durability and weather resistance make the Coleman Instant Tent reliable and long-lasting. Not only does it have these important features, but it also has bonus features, such as pre-attached poles.
The Ozark Trail 9 Person Instant Cabin Tent have many of these same features. This tent comes in close behind our favorite pick, the Coleman 8 Person Instant Tent.